* What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16  6:02 Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2003-06-16  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
about Ada.   He corrected the reference.

The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
can we correct this problem?

Richard Riehle

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16  7:57 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-06-16  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle wrote:
> One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
> reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
> AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
> about Ada.   He corrected the reference.
>
> The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
> for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
> can we correct this problem?

Perhaps one could write to Kempe Software Capital Enterprises =>
http://www.ksce.com/ and ask if one could get to some sort of agreement?

--
�It's probably worth pointing out that  C's pointer arithmetic  is not
 only dangerous, and a significant source of errors, but it also makes

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16  9:09 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2003-06-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:02:48 -0700, Richard Riehle
<richard@adaworks.com> wrote:

>One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
>reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
>AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
>about Ada.

How can you say that - it's only 4.5 years since the "Bookworm's Lair"
page was updated, 7 years since the "Top 5" award was, err, awarded
etc ;-)

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16 10:11 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-06-16 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com> wrote in message news:<3EED5D88.56EA3591@adaworks.com>...
> One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
> reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
> AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
> about Ada.   He corrected the reference.
>
> The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
> for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
> can we correct this problem?

We could try and get the web page to automatically redirect
visitors to either AdaPower or AdaIC...

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-16 10:55 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-06-16 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Both David Botton and I have tried to address this in the past.

We have each sent e-mail to the domain owner to no avail.

We have each tried (and failed) to buy the domain around renewal time. (Last
time it was more than 2 weeks
after the expiration date before it was renewed).

The most important thing we can all do is to be sure to NOT include links to
the site on any of our sites. Google (and other engines) use this to help
score the page.

Unfortunately, google also appears to use time since last update as well and
that site has an auto generated "headlines" date that changes every day.

@ 2003-06-16 13:13   ` Alexander Kopilovitch
From: Alexander Kopilovitch @ 2003-06-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
>Richard Riehle wrote:
>> The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
>> for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
>> can we correct this problem?
>
>Perhaps one could write to Kempe Software Capital Enterprises =>
>http://www.ksce.com/ and ask if one could get to some sort of agreement?

I just glanced there and didn't find on this page any way to contact the owner.
So perhaps better method to deal with the problem is to spread a rumor in some
crackers circles that the AdaHome site is so strongly fortified site that it
cannot be defaced.

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16 13:21     ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-06-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

The "Who Is" record for the site yields:

Registrant:
Kempe Software Capital Enterprises (ADAHOME-DOM)
Prairie 9
Gland, CH 1196
CH

Domain Name: ADAHOME.COM

Administrative Contact:
Kempe, Magnus (MK1755) M.Kempe@IEEE.ORG
KSCE Ada Home
rte d'Essertine
Pailly, CH 1416
CH
+41 21 887 8442

@ 2003-06-16 13:39   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2003-06-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> Both David Botton and I have tried to address this in the past.
>
> We have each sent e-mail to the domain owner to no avail.

Better than that, I offered to purchase it directly from him after he
renewed! No dice.

David Botton

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16 16:42     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2003-06-16 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kopilovitch <aek@vib.usr.pu.ru> wrote:
: Preben Randhol wrote:
:>Richard Riehle wrote:
:>...
:>> The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
:>> for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
:>> can we correct this problem?
:>
:
: I just glanced there and didn't find on this page any way to contact the owner.
: So perhaps better method to deal with the problem is to spread a rumor in some
: crackers circles that the AdaHome site is so strongly fortified site that it
: cannot be defaced.

That might lead to the loss of valuable information on that site.
Has someone collected the material, as far as law allows?

-- Georg

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-06-16 22:22   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2003-06-16 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote in message ...
>Richard Riehle wrote:
>> One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
>> reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
>> AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
>> about Ada.   He corrected the reference.
>>
>> The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
>> for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
>> can we correct this problem?
>
>Perhaps one could write to Kempe Software Capital Enterprises =>
>http://www.ksce.com/ and ask if one could get to some sort of
agreement?

I tried that; I would have even tried to get the ARA to provide some
money if that was necessary. But he doesn't seem to want to tell anyone
what he actually wants.

Anyway, I've been campaigning to eliminate as many links as possible to
AdaHome. That should cause it to drop down (or off) of the Google search
engine results, which seems to be about all we can do.

(And, of course, when searching for Ada related info, use the Ada wide
search engine at http://www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html - you can
include AdaHome in those searches, but it is not included by default.)

If you know of any web sites that link to Ada Home, ask the web master
to find alternative links. Feel free to have them contact me; I've found
alternatives for nearly everything. (For instance, the Lovelace tutorial
is hosted at a number of other places, the author has moved the
"official" version to another site. Don't link to the Ada Home version.)

                      Randy.

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-06 18:17 David Elliott
From: David Elliott @ 2003-08-06 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slightly off topic:

As I am new to ADA, I stumbled on the AdaHome site and read through the material I could
find.  With some of the comments from the threads of this subject, this is per chance not the
best site to be using.

Can someone recommend a site?

Also, I am looking for a Windows IDE.  I pulled down the Windows 95/98/NT/2000 version of GNAT
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib/3.14p/winnt/gnat-3.14p-nt.exe
and installed it.  However this is just a debugger.  Can someone recommend a Windows IDE as well.

Thanks,
Dave
DavidElliott@BellSouth.net

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:02:48 -0700, in comp.lang.ada you wrote:

>One of my students used AdaHome.com as a bibliographic
>reference in a recent paper turned in  to me.   I noted that
>AdaHome is no longer a viable source of up-to-date information
>about Ada.   He corrected the reference.
>
>The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
>for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
>can we correct this problem?
>
>Richard Riehle

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-06 18:28 ` Vinzent Hoefler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vinzent Hoefler @ 2003-08-06 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Elliott wrote:

>As I am new to ADA,

It is Ada, not ADA. :-)

<URL:http://www.adaic.com/>
<URL:http://www.adapower.com/>
<URL:http://libre.act-europe.fr/>

>Also, I am looking for a Windows IDE.

Try GPS. The public version was just released a few days^Wweeks ago:
<URL:http://libre.act-europe.fr/gps/>.

Vinzent.

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-06 18:38   ` Brien L. Christesen
From: Brien L. Christesen @ 2003-08-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started with ada a couple months ago, but I have been VERY happy
using AdaGIDE as my IDE.  http://www.adapower.net/a_sharp/adagide.html

Brien

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-06 18:54 ` David C. Hoos
From: David C. Hoos @ 2003-08-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: David Elliott

The best overall ada site is www.adapower.com.
For Ada tools, see also the great site http://libre.act-europe.fr/
For Ada advocacy, etc., see http://www.adaic.com/

> Also, I am looking for a Windows IDE.  I pulled down the Windows
95/98/NT/2000 version of GNAT

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib/3.14p/winnt/gnat-3.14p-nt.exe
> and installed it.  However this is just a debugger.  Can someone recommend
a Windows IDE as well.
The latest version for Windows is at
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.15p/winnt/
There is an IDE that has versions for both Windows and Unix at the
http://libre.act-europe.fr/ site.
For a Windows-only IDE, see
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

@ 2003-08-06 23:27 ` Wesley Groleau
       [not found]   ` <VRHYa.34$od4.31@read3.inet.fi>
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-08-06 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
>>for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
>>can we correct this problem?

Maybe put some little graphic in the upper right corner
of MANY Ada-related web pages, with
alt="About adahome.com" and have it link to a page
explaining briefly that it's obsolete, ancient,
and please don't cite it or link to it.

@ 2003-08-08 16:50     ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm I just got this thread as a reply....what's going on with AdaHome?

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
"Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi> wrote in message

"Wesley Groleau" <wesgroleau@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> >>The problem is that AdaHome continues to be a bad choice
> >>for anyone trying to  get current information about Ada.  How
> >>can we correct this problem?
>
> Maybe put some little graphic in the upper right corner
> of MANY Ada-related web pages, with
> alt="About adahome.com" and have it link to a page
> explaining briefly that it's obsolete, ancient,
> and please don't cite it or link to it.

FWIW:

I managed to get a promise from Bo Sanden to change the Ada 95 link on
http://iis-web.coloradotech.edu/bsanden/
to www.adapower.com.
Bo Sanden�s page was mentioned in the c.l.a. thread Re: Realtime/embedded
project to help with employment.
Anders

@ 2003-08-08 19:32     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-08-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <VRHYa.34$od4.31@read3.inet.fi>, "Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi> writes:

> I managed to get a promise from Bo Sanden to change the Ada 95 link on
> http://iis-web.coloradotech.edu/bsanden/
>
> to www.adapower.com.

That is good, leaving only 316 other links to correct according to

	http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=www.adahome.com&btnG=Search

Of course some of those are internal links from the defunct site to itself.

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-08 19:36       ` Wesley Groleau
From: Wesley Groleau @ 2003-08-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> That is good, leaving only 316 other links to correct according to
>
> 	http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=www.adahome.com&btnG=Search

Even if ALL links from the outside world are eliminated,
it will still show up on search engines.  That's why
other Ada sites should let folks know that it's not
a good source.

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-08 21:30         ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-08-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley Groleau wrote:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>
>> That is good, leaving only 316 other links to correct according to
>>
>>     http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=www.adahome.com&btnG=Search
>

> Even if ALL links from the outside world are eliminated,
> it will still show up on search engines.  That's why
> other Ada sites should let folks know that it's not
> a good source.

Perhaps everyone should link to adapower? ;)

@ 2003-08-09 10:52 ` Patrice Freydiere
From: Patrice Freydiere @ 2003-08-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can also use GPS, a gnat IDE working on windows platforme
there is a free personnal Education release.

Patrice

@ 2003-08-11  5:59         ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2003-08-11  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> > That is good, leaving only 316 other links to correct according to
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=www.adahome.com&btnG=Search
>
> Even if ALL links from the outside world are eliminated,
> it will still show up on search engines.  That's why
> other Ada sites should let folks know that it's not
> a good source.

I am not sure how the legal authorities react in different countries
to someone spreading negative information about another site. It seems
better to put up texts where someone recommends the adapower site as,
in his opinion, it is a more up to date site.
Another direction to "attack" adahome is to change as much links as
possible from adahome to adapower.A little makes a mickle.
A third direction could be to actuallu visit the adapower site a lot
of times since (correct me if I have wrong information) at least some
of the search engines put frequently visited sites higher up in their
hit list.

Anders

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-11  8:20           ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2003-08-11  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders> A third direction could be to actuallu visit the adapower site
Anders> a lot of times since (correct me if I have wrong information)
Anders> at least some of the search engines put frequently visited
Anders> sites higher up in their hit list.

I think you do have wrong information. How could any search engine
know what sites are frequently visited (unless you install a spyware
on your machine)?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

* Re: What Can We do About AdaHome.com
@ 2003-08-11 10:14             ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2003-08-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Samuel Tardieu" <sam@rfc1149.net> wrote in message

> Anders> A third direction could be to actuallu visit the adapower
site
> Anders> a lot of times since (correct me if I have wrong
information)
> Anders> at least some of the search engines put frequently visited
> Anders> sites higher up in their hit list.
>
> I think you do have wrong information. How could any search engine
> know what sites are frequently visited (unless you install a spyware
> on your machine)?

You are right. The total number of visits is not possible to fetch
unless you analyse the internet traffic.
You may be partly wrong. A search engine may always be able to count
how many visits there are through its own site.

Back to the subject (no favouring of a particular search engine): I
took my time to visit www.google.com and found something about site
ranking:

<cite>
PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using
its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value.
In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote,
by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume
of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that
casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important"
weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."
</cite)

That should indicate that the more links there are converted from
adahome to adapower, the higher rank adapower gets.

Anders