From: "Per Dalgas Jakobsen" <nospam@nospam.org>
Subject: Re: RTEMS, MaRTE or ...
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:27:28 +0100
Date: 2003-02-11T20:27:28+01:00	[thread overview]

Hi Jacob :-),

> The "Linux in a Box" people seem to be able to cut the Linux kernel down
>   to it's essentials.  It this can work even with the real-time patches

I'm sure that Linux could do a nice job in this case too, but it might be
a bit overkill to use a fullblown(?) OS to simply launch your application
and handle some basic scheduling.

In many embedded cases I end up figuring out how to tweak the OS-drivers
to perform reliably (timing), and in some cases I end up rewriting them to
handle the events the way I need it anyway (e.g. timestamping of every
character from a serial port).

In some applications I also prefere simplicity over flexibility - If there
is no OS-driver, it can't fail.

Per

> PS: Var det ikke en id� med en Ada-aften i K�benhavn i l�bet af ugen
>      24-28/2?

PS: Jo da - Jeg er klar ;-)
(Men befinder du dig ikke p� langt-syd-for-K�ge-�en???)