From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: New Ada binding to OpenGL
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:55:18 -0600
Date: 2003-01-09T03:55:18-06:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:47:25 +0000, David Holm wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2003 12:20:22 -0800
> Brian.Gaffney@myrealbox.com (Brian Gaffney) wrote:

>> I take it your project name is AdaOpenGL.  This seems like a good
>> candidate for a main package name.  It would allow people to identify
>> your project from the package, the package from your project, and would
>> help reduce namespace conflicts (at least for people who know of your
>> project).
>
> Yeah, I guess.
> I have a thin binding and I'm working on a thick binding. Which one
> should I call AdaOpenGL and what should I call the other?

When it's done the thick binding is what most people will use, so IMO
that's the one that should have the most straightforward name --
presumably AdaOpenGL.

Or actually, I'd like to see that as the name of the _kit_.  The actual
package name should simply be OpenGL, so that people's source code could
refer to -

	with OpenGL.Whatever;

There's no reason to import the identifier "Ada" into the Ada namespace.

Or better yet, simply GL, GLU, GLX, etc., -

	with GLX;
	GLX.Choose_Visual( blah-de-blah);

Again, take your cue for what the fine folk did with GtkAda.  The name of
the _product_ is "GtkAda", but the names of the Ada _packages_ are Glib,
GDK, GTK, etc.

They do have a package called GtkAda, but that's to identify stuff that's
actually new with GtkAda rather than bindings of the GTK+ stuff.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas