From: "Per Dalgas Jakobsen" <nospam@nospam.org>
Subject: Re: Compilation induced constants in Ada code?
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:22:13 +0100
Date: 2003-01-04T21:22:13+01:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:50:53 +0000, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

>> An obvious one: Patch make.adb to change the name just before compilation.
>
> A slight variation, but (IMHO) much cleaner: make a sparate package
> which exports needed constants, keep a template with the souces but
> generate correct version in object directory.

Yep, I came to that conclussion too - In fact I think I will try to extract
all the tool names to such a package, not just gcc. In that case, renaming
tools will not be that hard to do, if needed.

> However, one have to do more (mostly in makefiles & configure) to
> have things play really nicely: the GNU standard is that utilites
> should still work even if given different name. So one should really
> install gnat tools into gcc instal direstory and the installed programs
> should just invoke the real ones in privete directory. Easy to do
> with symlinks or shell scrips on Unix, but limits portablity to
> non Unix systems.

That would be nice, but I'm not too keen to start fooling around to much
with the gcc build-scripts - Not just yet. Call me a wimp ;-)

> And most work will probably go into makefiles and configure scripts
> --- writing them is easy, but debugging is very time-consuming.

No kidding ;-)))
I have just had +3 days of very recent experience there :-)))

Thanks :)

Best regards
Per