From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: article on acces types and dynamic serialization in Ada (2003)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:13:42 +0100
Date: 2018-02-23T14:13:42+01:00	[thread overview]

On 23/02/2018 11:30, Mehdi Saada wrote:

> It could be I'm just too ignorant of data-structures, but besides (different types of) nodes and (different types of) pointers to represent arrows/links, I don't see why a reference counting strategy wouldn't work for all.

Why it works, but requires a massive infrastructure. In general, you
need external and internal reference counting. You will have external
objects and memory-mapped proxies of. You will have to synchronize,
commit, when proxy's internal reference count = 0, but the external
reference count > 0. All this is beyond mere serialization and about
object persistence. Note that persistent linked structures are not
stored as blobs but as individual nodes, individually accessible with
individual reference counts etc. It is complicated and not language
business to meddle with.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov