From: Toussaint OTTAVI <t.ottavi@medi.fr>
Subject: [Newbie] Setting up ADA for AVR environment with graphical source-level debugging ?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 11:02:46 +0100
Date: 2018-02-23T11:02:46+01:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the ADA world, and I'd like to set up an ADA development
environment for Atmel AVR MCUs under Windows.

This is not an easy task, because I found very few documentation about
using ADA on AVR. I'd like to get advices and/or links to existing
documentation or projects.

First of all, about the the compiler itself, it seems to exist two options :
- AVR-ADA (there is some documentation, but the project does not seem to
be updated)
- Libre AVR compiler from Adacore (no documentation found !)
Which one would be the best choice ?

Now, about the development environment, I'm running under Windows. I'd
like to have :
- A visual source editor with source highlighting. Libre version of
Adacore GPS does the job. I enjoy Eclipse, but ADA plugin seems to be
only available on adacore commercial versions.
- A graphical source-level debugging, with the following basic features :
   - Browsing assembly code, mixed with inline ADA source code
   - Setting breakpoints and watches graphically
   - Reading variable content in a window during a breakpoint

My first approach was to try Atmel AVR Studio for source-level
debugging. Generating an ELF or COFF file, with the corresponding symbol
table and source code, and importing it in AVR Studio, should do the
job. Anyway, I did not have much success (yet). AVR Studio does not seem
to "see" the symbol table, and I did not manage to get a correct view of
ADA source code mixed with the resulting assembly code.

Another option may be to use GPS for graphical debugging, associated
with GDB. I have a compatible hardware JTAG/ISP/DebugWire probe (Atmel
JTAGICE3), but I did not investigate yet. I don't know if GPS/GDB
debugger would work for AVR target.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions. Kind regards.