From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: non record limited type
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 17:24:25 -0600
Date: 2018-02-22T17:24:25-06:00	[thread overview]

news:p6luqm$jb1$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> On 22/02/2018 02:29, Randy Brukardt wrote:
>
>> These types that become limited just because of "limited private" also
>> have
>> the nasty property of becoming non-limited when you can see the full
>> declaration. This causes all kinds of semantic complications that we'd
>> rather not repeat, so everything new requires declaring it limited
>> explicitly and staying that way.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with that, except for coupling to by-reference
> semantics. On/off visibility of the copying operation is all OK, it is
> just an operation. Parameter passing method is a different thing.

Not to Ada: by-copy uses the assignment operation (which isn't quite the
same thing as :=). Limited assignment is build-in-place only (for
initialization purposes, another rule I know you hate). Probably could be
different, but it would take extra work, and so far, there doesn't seem to
be much need.

                                    Randy.