* whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-23 20:47 @{-_-}@
From: @{-_-}@ @ 2003-10-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Im triying to develop a code in ADA.  Im a newbie :).  This code must
ouput a series number.

If I try a number N lagger than nought the program must ouput a
progressive series number from 1 as far as N.

If I try a number N smaller than nought, the program must output a
progressive series number from -1 as far as N.

If I try nouth the program must output "ZERO".

I tried the following intructions:

with Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
use Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;

procedure Practica1 is

n: integer;
c: integer :=0;

begin

	put ("Escribe un numero entero: ");
	get (n);
	if n = 0 then

		put("cero")

	else

		IF N > 0 then
			for c in 0..n loop
				put (c);
			end loop
		else
			for c in -1..n loop
				put (c);
			end loop
		end if

	end if

end Practica1;

When I try to compile it, the objectada show the following error:

practica1.adb: Error: line 20 col 2 Parse error: expected SEMICOLON, got
ELSE, Inserting SEMICOLON

Whats SEMICOLON?

Thx to community!!

gretting2all!!!

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-23 21:33 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-10-23 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"@{-_-}@" <nuhvok@terra.es> writes:

> Im triying to develop a code in ADA.  Im a newbie :).  This code must
> ouput a series number.
>
> If I try a number N lagger than nought the program must ouput a
> progressive series number from 1 as far as N.
>
> If I try a number N smaller than nought, the program must output a
> progressive series number from -1 as far as N.
>
> If I try nouth the program must output "ZERO".
>
> I tried the following intructions:
>
> with Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
> use Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
>
> procedure Practica1 is
>
> n: integer;
> c: integer :=0;
>
> begin
>
> 	put ("Escribe un numero entero: ");
> 	get (n);
> 	if n = 0 then
>
> 		put("cero")
>
> 	else
>
> 		IF N > 0 then
> 			for c in 0..n loop
> 				put (c);
> 			end loop
> 		else
> 			for c in -1..n loop
> 				put (c);
> 			end loop
> 		end if
>
> 	end if
>
> end Practica1;
>
> When I try to compile it, the objectada show the following error:
>
> practica1.adb: Error: line 20 col 2 Parse error: expected SEMICOLON,
> got ELSE, Inserting SEMICOLON
>
> Whats SEMICOLON?

;

In Ada, the semicolon is a terminator not a separator.

   if n = 0 then
     put ("cero");
   else

(can you see that this fails to meet your requirements as stated in at
least two respects?)

Same semicolon problem later on at end loop;  end if; .

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-23 23:32 ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found] ` <n2mm61-fg3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2003-10-23 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"@{-_-}@" <nuhvok@terra.es> writes:

> with Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
> use Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
      ^^^^^^^

This package is obsolete.  It is recommended to use Ada.Text_IO
instead.  But this will not harm your program until the next revision
of Ada.

> procedure Practica1 is
>
> n: integer;
> c: integer :=0;

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You do not need to declare this variable.  The "for" loops below will
declare it implicitly for you.

> begin
> 	put ("Escribe un numero entero: ");
> 	get (n);
> 	if n = 0 then
> 		put("cero")
> 	else
> 		IF N > 0 then
> 			for c in 0..n loop
> 				put (c);
> 			end loop
> 		else
> 			for c in -1..n loop
                              ^^^^^^^^

This loop will be executed zero or one times, depending on n.  Do you
understand why?  Is this whant you want?

> 				put (c);
> 			end loop
> 		end if
> 	end if
> end Practica1;

Regarding the semicolons, Simon Wright answered already.  It looks
like you come from Pascal :)

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-23 23:56   ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-10-23 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote in message
> "@{-_-}@" <nuhvok@terra.es> writes:
>
> > with Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
> > use Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
>       ^^^^^^^
>
> This package is obsolete.  It is recommended to use Ada.Text_IO
> instead.  But this will not harm your program until the next revision
> of Ada.

No - they will still be there, but they will still be obsolete! :-)

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-24  1:19   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-10-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> "@{-_-}@" <nuhvok@terra.es> writes:
 >
>>c: integer :=0;
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You do not need to declare this variable.  The "for" loops below will
> declare it implicitly for you.

Technically, this variable is never used.

To answer the OP's question, a semicolon is the character ';'. Every
statement in Ada must be terminated by a semicolon.

--
Jeff Carter
"C++ is like jamming a helicopter inside a Miata

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-24 13:28   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-24 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-23, Ludovic Brenta <ludovic.brenta@insalien.org> wrote:
> "@{-_-}@" <nuhvok@terra.es> writes:
>
>> with Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
>> use Text_Io, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
>       ^^^^^^^
>
> This package is obsolete.  It is recommended to use Ada.Text_IO
> instead.  But this will not harm your program until the next revision
> of Ada.

I hadn't even noticed that there is a text_io package other than
Ada.Text_IO.  However, in Gnat it is the same package as text_io.ads
contains only:

[copyright removed]

pragma Ada_95;
with Ada.Text_IO;

package Text_IO renames Ada.Text_IO;

Preben
--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-24 14:34     ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-10-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
message

> with Ada.Text_IO;
>
> package Text_IO renames Ada.Text_IO;

Because that's what the RM says is should...

* Re: whats semicolon?
@ 2003-10-24 15:10       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-24, Martin Dowie <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
> message
>
>> with Ada.Text_IO;
>>
>> package Text_IO renames Ada.Text_IO;
>
> Because that's what the RM says is should...

hmm, but then I don't understand why Text_IO is obsolete. Is it because
it is not under Ada. ?

Preben
--

@ 2003-10-24 17:20         ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2003-10-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 2003-10-24, Martin Dowie <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > "Preben Randhol" <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in
> > message
> >
> >> with Ada.Text_IO;
> >>
> >> package Text_IO renames Ada.Text_IO;
> >
> > Because that's what the RM says is should...
>
> hmm, but then I don't understand why Text_IO is obsolete. Is it because
> it is not under Ada. ?

It's obsolete as you should be using the Ada.* hierarchy in new code, but
they
couldn't remove 'Text_IO' as this would break *huge* amounts of existing
code.

* Re: whats semicolon?
       [not found] ` <n2mm61-fg3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
@ 2003-10-24 20:06   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2003-10-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>                 put("Zero");
                        ^^^

Still doesn't match the spec!

--
Simon Wright                               100% Ada, no bugs.

* Re: whats semicolon?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <n2mm61-fg3.ln1@beastie.ix.netcom.com>
@ 2003-10-25 13:39 ` Roberto Waltman
From: Roberto Waltman @ 2003-10-25 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Im triying to develop a code in ADA.  Im a newbie :).  This code must
>ouput a series number.
>
>  <snip>...
>
>When I try to compile it, the objectada show the following error:
>
>practica1.adb: Error: line 20 col 2 Parse error: expected SEMICOLON, got
>ELSE, Inserting SEMICOLON
>
>Whats SEMICOLON?

Colon - Dos puntos - ':'
Semicolon - Punto y coma -  ';'