* ADA 95 Best Practices Book
@ 2018-01-24  1:15 MichaelD4321@aol.com
From: MichaelD4321@aol.com @ 2018-01-24  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the way of a best practices book on ASA 95, does any such creature exist? Why not?

What books come close to it?

What books do I have to live with?

Are there any ADA best practices book on the compilers earlier than ADA 95?

Thank you,
Michael

* Re: ADA 95 Best Practices Book
@ 2018-01-24  1:19 ` MichaelD_4321@aol.com
From: MichaelD_4321@aol.com @ 2018-01-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 8:15:34 PM UTC-5, Michae...@aol.com wrote:
> In the way of a best practices book on ASA 95, does any such creature exist? Why not?
>
> What books come close to it?
>
> What books do I have to live with?
>
> Are there any ADA best practices book on the compilers earlier than ADA 95?
>
> Thank you,
> Michael

Ideally, I would like a recommendation for an ADA 95 using Linux, but anything would do.

How different are the ADA 95 compilers on Linux versus Windows? Which is better.

* Re: ADA 95 Best Practices Book
@ 2018-01-24  7:23   ` Petter Fryklund
From: Petter Fryklund @ 2018-01-24  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I personally prefer Cohen's "Ada as a second language".

Regards,
Petter

* Re: ADA 95 Best Practices Book
@ 2018-01-24  7:42   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2018-01-24  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-01-24 03:19 , MichaelD_4321@aol.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 8:15:34 PM UTC-5, Michae...@aol.com wrote:
>> In the way of a best practices book on ASA 95, does any such creature exist? Why not?
> Ideally, I would like a recommendation for an ADA 95 using Linux,
> but anything would do.

Specifically for Ada on Linux, this comes to mind:

    "The Big Online Book of Linux Ada Programming"

    http://www.pegasoft.ca/resources/boblap/book.html

It seems to have been last updated in 2009, so it is a bit old, and
there may today be better alternatives to some of the tools it suggests,
such as for GUI development (say, gnoga, http://gnoga.com/).

There is a list of learning materials at
http://www.adaic.org/learn/materials/.

One of those is the Ada 95 Quality and Style Guide,
http://www.adaic.org/resources/add_content/docs/95style/html/cover.html.

> How different are the ADA 95 compilers on Linux versus Windows?

The only compiler that I have used on both Linux and Windows is GNAT,
and that is very similar on Linux and Windows. The GPS (GNAT
Programmming System) IDE works on both.

Of course the OS API is very different on Linux and Windows, but GNAT
provides some GNAT-specific libraries that hide much of that difference.

> Which is better.

<flamebait> Linux, of course :-) Whatever your language. </flamebait>

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: ADA 95 Best Practices Book
@ 2018-01-24 17:21   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-01-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/24/2018 02:19 AM, MichaelD_4321@aol.com wrote:

> How different are the ADA 95 compilers on Linux versus Windows? Which is better.

Is that the American Dental Association or the Australian Desert Anteaters? Ada
is a woman's name, not an acronym.

Ada-95 compilers can be very different between vendors, even on the same
platform. For example, GNAT uses a source-file-name based approach to finding
the source for compilation units on all platforms it supports, while Janu/Ada
(Windows only) uses a compilation-library approach. The former is a bit harder
to use if you don't want to use the default naming rules, but a bit easier to
invoke if you do. The former is more flexible about file names and allows
multiple compilation units in a single file, but may require an extra step
before you can compile things.

--
Jeff Carter
"You couldn't catch clap in a brothel, silly English K...niggets."