* Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-19 16:59 Leff Ivanov
From: Leff Ivanov @ 2018-01-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any ready to use Ada cross-compiler toolchain available today? I'd like to compile Ada code targeting Windows, some generic Linux and Mac OSX. And I'd like to do it on Windows or Linux. Is it somehow possible today?

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-19 17:12 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-01-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-01-19 17:59, Leff Ivanov wrote:
> Is there any ready to use Ada cross-compiler toolchain available
> today? I'd like to compile Ada code targeting Windows, some generic
> Linux and Mac OSX. And I'd like to do it on Windows or Linux. Is it
> somehow possible today?

The only one I know are mingw32 packages for Debian and Fedora. They
have GNAT. That gives Windows-cross under Linux.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-19 18:15 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2018-01-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leff Ivanov <droiddermo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any ready to use Ada cross-compiler toolchain available today?
> I'd like to compile Ada code targeting Windows, some generic Linux and
> Mac OSX. And I'd like to do it on Windows or Linux. Is it somehow possible today?

I don’t think there is, you’d have to build one yourself.

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-19 18:47 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2018-01-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/19/2018 05:59 PM, Leff Ivanov wrote:
> Is there any ready to use Ada cross-compiler toolchain available today? I'd like to compile Ada code targeting Windows, some generic Linux and Mac OSX. And I'd like to do it on Windows or Linux. Is it somehow possible today?

On Debian and derived distributions of Linux, at least, there is a cross
compiler for Windows available:

"MinGW-w64 provides a development and runtime environment for 32- and
64-bit (x86 and x64) Windows applications using the Windows API and
the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc)."

--
Jeff Carter
"Every sperm is sacred."

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-19 21:28   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2018-01-19 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey R. Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:

> "MinGW-w64 provides a development and runtime environment for 32- and
> 64-bit (x86 and x64) Windows applications using the Windows API and
> the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc)."

On Gentoo using the Ada-overlay I created will get you whatever targets are
in crossdev including mingw32.

The latest is available from sarnold’s github as he did the hardening work.

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-20  9:26 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2018-01-20  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 19/01/2018 à 17:59, Leff Ivanov a écrit :
> Is there any ready to use Ada cross-compiler toolchain available
> today? I'd like to compile Ada code targeting Windows, some generic
> Linux and Mac OSX. And I'd like to do it on Windows or Linux. Is it
> somehow possible today?

Given current technology, the simplest way is to have a VM with the
various OS you need, and a native compiler on each.

Since the VM can access the host's disk, you keep only one set of source
files, and it's much simpler than building you own cross-compiler.

At least, that's what I do when I need f.e. to build the Linux version
of AdaControl from my Windows laptop (I also have a real Linux box in
the office, but I'm often away from it).

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-20 14:00     ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-01-20 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 19 January 2018 21:28:14 UTC, Luke A. Guest  wrote:

> On Gentoo using the Ada-overlay I created will get you whatever targets are
> in crossdev including mingw32.
>
> The latest is available from sarnold’s github as he did the hardening work.

Not on mobile now, so...

For those interested, https://github.com/sarnold/ada-overlay is the main overlay, includes cross bootstrap compilers for a number of targets.

USE=ada emerge -v gcc

You can then build crossdev with Ada support enabled.

https://github.com/sarnold/dev-ada-overlay is where the basic Ada user packages are located.

Luke.

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-20 19:45       ` Leff Ivanov
From: Leff Ivanov @ 2018-01-20 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke, sorry, I'm not a Linux expert, is this thing Gentoo specific, or I can install/build it on my Linux Mint (Debian based system) as well?

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-20 20:24         ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2018-01-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leff Ivanov <droiddermo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Luke, sorry, I'm not a Linux expert, is this thing Gentoo specific, or I
> can install/build it on my Linux Mint (Debian based system) as well?

Sorry, they are Gentoo specific, would work on Gentoo derivatives like
Funtoo, should work on Sabayon.

There must be way to do this on Debian derivatives, they build cross
compilers to build is arches.

* Re: Ada cross-compiler?
@ 2018-01-26 12:24           ` Leff Ivanov
From: Leff Ivanov @ 2018-01-26 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

суббота, 20 января 2018 г., 23:24:21 UTC+3 пользователь Luke A. Guest написал:
> Leff Ivanov <droiddermo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Luke, sorry, I'm not a Linux expert, is this thing Gentoo specific, or I
> > can install/build it on my Linux Mint (Debian based system) as well?
> >

> Sorry, they are Gentoo specific, would work on Gentoo derivatives like
> Funtoo, should work on Sabayon.
>
> There must be way to do this on Debian derivatives, they build cross
> compilers to build is arches.
I see, thanks anyway.