* ANN: MAX! home automation v2.0
@ 2017-12-17 15:02 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-12-17 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

MAX! home automation is a GTK+ application to manage ELV/eQ-3 MAX!
cubes. A cube is a gateway to a network of radiator thermostats, shutter
contacts etc.

     http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/max_home_automation.htm

Changes to the previous version:

   - MQTT broker bug fix that prevented publishing thermostat temperatures;
   - MQTT broker settings allow specifying if the broker should accept
publishing requests from the clients on unknown topics. The topics can
be limited by a list of MQTT topic patterns.
   - Python scripts added.

P.S. I would like to support scripting in an Ada-friendly interpreter in
addition to Python, which I really dislike. I remember some discussions
about Ada-like scripting language, but found no references to.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ANN: MAX! home automation v2.0
@ 2017-12-17 16:10 ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2017-12-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 16:02:02 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> P.S. I would like to support scripting in an Ada-friendly interpreter in
> addition to Python, which I really dislike. I remember some discussions
> about Ada-like scripting language, but found no references to.

You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/

-- Brian

* Re: ANN: MAX! home automation v2.0
@ 2017-12-17 17:30   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-12-17 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-12-17 17:10, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 16:02:02 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>
>> P.S. I would like to support scripting in an Ada-friendly interpreter in
>> addition to Python, which I really dislike. I remember some discussions
>> about Ada-like scripting language, but found no references to.
>
> You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/

Thanks, it looks good.

But I don't see crucial details:

1. Windows support

2. Embedding. The script must be run from an Ada program and the program
must extend the script's built-in operations.

--

@ 2017-12-18 19:12     ` G. B.
From: G. B. @ 2017-12-18 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> On 2017-12-17 17:10, Brian Drummond wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 16:02:02 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. I would like to support scripting in an Ada-friendly interpreter in
>>> addition to Python, which I really dislike. I remember some discussions
>>> about Ada-like scripting language, but found no references to.
>>
>> You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/
>
> Thanks, it looks good.
>
> But I don't see crucial details:
>
> 1. Windows support

The ActiveState adaptations of scripting
languages have had Windows integration
in the past.

For example,
https://www.activestate.com/lua

@ 2017-12-18 19:51       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-12-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-12-18 20:12, G. B. wrote:
> Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

>>> You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/
>>
>> Thanks, it looks good.
>>
>> But I don't see crucial details:
>>
>> 1. Windows support
>
> The ActiveState adaptations of scripting
> languages have had Windows integration
> in the past.
>
> For example,
> https://www.activestate.com/lua
>
>> 2. Embedding. The script must be run from an Ada program and the program
>> must extend the script's built-in operations.

I am aware that Lua has all this. Surely I will add Lua support if there
will be demand. But Lua or Python does it make any difference? I would
like to have an "Ada" interpreter.

--

@ 2017-12-19 13:40     ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2017-12-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:30:18 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On 2017-12-17 17:10, Brian Drummond wrote:

>> You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/
>
> Thanks, it looks good.
>
> But I don't see crucial details:
>
> 1. Windows support
>
> 2. Embedding. The script must be run from an Ada program and the program
> must extend the script's built-in operations.

I don't know about these; if it's buildable and runnable under cygwin for
example, would that work, or do you need full native Windows?

As it's written in Ada (as far as possible) it can presumably be built
into another Ada program, or adapted to build as a library. But I haven't
tried, nor corresponded with its author.

-- Brian

* Re: ANN: MAX! home automation v2.0
@ 2017-12-19 14:00       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-12-19 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-12-19 14:40, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:30:18 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-17 17:10, Brian Drummond wrote:
>
>>> You might be looking for https://www.sparforte.com/
>>
>> Thanks, it looks good.
>>
>> But I don't see crucial details:
>>
>> 1. Windows support
>>
>> 2. Embedding. The script must be run from an Ada program and the program
>> must extend the script's built-in operations.
>
> I don't know about these; if it's buildable and runnable under cygwin for
> example, would that work, or do you need full native Windows?

I contacted Ken Burtch, Windows is not supported.

The sources use low-level Unix I/O. It would be difficult to port to
Windows without an OS abstraction level.

> As it's written in Ada (as far as possible) it can presumably be built
> into another Ada program, or adapted to build as a library.

It could be 100% Ada if were not GNAT-agnostic.

AdaCore did a great work abstracting OS away and providing Ada project
tool. To be AdaCore independent you lose a lot. It is worth considering
some of GNAT libraries, e.g. GNAT.Sockets, becoming the standard as well
as GPR projects. Seeing autoconf/configure/cmake mess near to Ada makes
me ill...

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov