* Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 17:12 Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's been a while since we've seen a new target for JVM or .NET
 - Java Virtual Machine on Windows: 2013 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3e5ac8e196b040fbd8c8
 - .NET on Windows: 2014 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3f9dc8e196b040fbfda7

It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 17:18 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-11-22 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:12:26 UTC, Shark8  wrote:
> It's been a while since we've seen a new target for JVM or .NET
>  - Java Virtual Machine on Windows: 2013 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3e5ac8e196b040fbd8c8
>  - .NET on Windows: 2014 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3f9dc8e196b040fbfda7
>
> It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.

AdaCore slapped GPLv3 on the JVM backend. The .NET backend was always GPLv3.#

You can get both from their site, they are there. gnatvm-gpl-2014-src.tar.gz is .NET and JVM, but under JVM it's 2013 version.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 17:31   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-11-22 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:18:49 UTC, Lucretia  wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:12:26 UTC, Shark8  wrote:
> > It's been a while since we've seen a new target for JVM or .NET
> >  - Java Virtual Machine on Windows: 2013 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3e5ac8e196b040fbd8c8
> >  - .NET on Windows: 2014 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3f9dc8e196b040fbfda7
> >
> > It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.
>
> AdaCore slapped GPLv3 on the JVM backend. The .NET backend was always GPLv3.#
>
> You can get both from their site, they are there. gnatvm-gpl-2014-src.tar.gz is .NET and JVM, but under JVM it's 2013 version.

Just checked, 2014 contains both.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 17:34   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-11-22 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:18:49 UTC, Lucretia  wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:12:26 UTC, Shark8  wrote:
> > It's been a while since we've seen a new target for JVM or .NET
> >  - Java Virtual Machine on Windows: 2013 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3e5ac8e196b040fbd8c8
> >  - .NET on Windows: 2014 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3f9dc8e196b040fbfda7
> >
> > It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.
>
> AdaCore slapped GPLv3 on the JVM backend. The .NET backend was always GPLv3.#

I mentioned this someone on the Github game off discord, this is what he said:

"That sucks :( And it's not healthy for the language as well"

We all know that, except AdaCore.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 18:29     ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2017-11-22 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 22/11/2017 à 18:34, Lucretia a écrit :
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:18:49 UTC, Lucretia  wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 17:12:26 UTC, Shark8  wrote:
>>> It's been a while since we've seen a new target for JVM or .NET
>>>  - Java Virtual Machine on Windows: 2013 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3e5ac8e196b040fbd8c8
>>>  - .NET on Windows: 2014 - http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/564b3f9dc8e196b040fbfda7
>>>
>>> It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.
>>
>> AdaCore slapped GPLv3 on the JVM backend. The .NET backend was always GPLv3.#
>
> I mentioned this someone on the Github game off discord, this is what he said:
>
> "That sucks :( And it's not healthy for the language as well"
>
> We all know that, except AdaCore.

Huh? I just checked on libre.adacore.com, both (cross) compilers for JVM
and .NET are there - as well as Lego Mindstorm

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 18:31     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-22 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 10:31:13 AM UTC-7, Lucretia wrote:

> Just checked, 2014 contains both.

That's kinda my point: there hasn't been a GPL release for these targets in 3 years; IIRC, there were some 'interesting' bugs and incomplete handling of the 2012 standard. (I'd like to see target Ada 2012 to .NET and JVM.)

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 18:33     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 10:34:48 AM UTC-7, Lucretia wrote:

> I mentioned this someone on the Github game off discord, this is what he said:
>
> "That sucks :( And it's not healthy for the language as well"

I'm inclined to agree.
Though, maybe if I get a bit more motivation I'll restart work on Byron.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 18:40       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-22 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 11:29:26 AM UTC-7, J-P. Rosen wrote:

> Huh? I just checked on libre.adacore.com, both (cross) compilers for JVM
> and .NET are there - as well as Lego Mindstorm

Really?
All I get on the main-page are:
(1) gnat-gpl-2017-x86-windows-bin.exe
(2) spark-discovery-gpl-2017-x86-windows-bin.exe
(3) gnat-gpl-2017-arm-elf-windows-bin.exe

Selecting the "More packages, platforms, versions and sources" link and using the dropdown "Select your platform":
(a) ".NET on Windows" makes the valid year dropdowns 2009..2014.
(b) "Java Virtual Machine on Windows" makes the valid year dropdowns 2009..2013.

If there are newer versions, I'd be most appreciative of links.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 19:44 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-11-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.

What would be your motivation (just curious).
Coincidence, I've just reinstalled GNAT for .NET today to be able to reproduce a nasty bug of the 2013-2014 edition (a really trivial reproducer program could freeze a Windows PC efficiently), but with the .NET platform version change (I guess), the program did not even want to start. That's the problem with .NET: you need to keep up with Windows and .NET versions separately, and with what in exchange, except a loss of performance ? From a marketing point of view, it made sense 15 years ago for Microsoft, being able to sell "their" virtual machine.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-22 21:33   ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-7, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > It would be nice to be able to target GNAT to these platforms once again.
>
> What would be your motivation (just curious).

Immediately?
Being able to proof-of-concept some items in a rather large extant codebase at work (Java/JVM) would be very nice. Personal-project-wise the ability to leverage some of the extant .NET languages and functionality would be quite handy (e.g. Delphi.NET's DB facilities, F#'s pure-functional nature, /maybe/ C#'s LINQ, etc).

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-23  0:39       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2017-11-23  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> Le 22/11/2017 à 18:34, Lucretia a écrit :

>>> AdaCore slapped GPLv3 on the JVM backend. The .NET backend was always
>>> GPLv3.#
>>
>> I mentioned this someone on the Github game off discord, this is what he
>> said:
>>
>> "That sucks :( And it's not healthy for the language as well"
>>
>> We all know that, except AdaCore.
>>
> Huh? I just checked on libre.adacore.com, both (cross) compilers for JVM
> and .NET are there - as well as Lego Mindstorm

How did you do that? "libre.adacore.com" instantly redirects to
www.adacore.com, and there is essentially nothing to download there.

                                        Randy.

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-23  2:22         ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2017-11-23  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:39:21 -0600, "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
declaimed the following:

>How did you do that? "libre.adacore.com" instantly redirects to
>www.adacore.com, and there is essentially nothing to download there.

	Interesting if so... Since libre.adacore.com is supposed to have been
replaced by www.adacore.com/community

	My biggest gripe, currently: libre used to allow selecting specific
packages to be zipped up into one download; community required individual
downloads for each (last time I tried it).

* Re: Whatever happened to GNAT GPL's JVM and .NET targets?
@ 2017-11-23  7:43         ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2017-11-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 23/11/2017 à 01:39, Randy Brukardt a écrit :
>> Huh? I just checked on libre.adacore.com, both (cross) compilers for JVM
>> and .NET are there - as well as Lego Mindstorm
> How did you do that? "libre.adacore.com" instantly redirects to
> www.adacore.com, and there is essentially nothing to download there.
Click on the big "Download" button, which brings you to a page that
offers Gnat for your system. At the bottom of the page, you have a "More
packages, platforms, versions and sources" link that brings you to all
systems.

But I didn't notice that the selected version if you choose one of these
is not 2017.

--

@ 2017-11-28  1:12           ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2017-11-28  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)