* ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-17 23:38 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-11-17 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why on my Debian Linux installation (with GNAT 7.2.0 installed) there is no
file ada-text_io.ads (which as it seems should be) but there is text_io.ads
(which should be not)?

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-18  0:28 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-11-18  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 4:38:17 PM UTC-7, Victor Porton wrote:
> Why on my Debian Linux installation (with GNAT 7.2.0 installed) there is no
> file ada-text_io.ads (which as it seems should be) but there is text_io.ads
> (which should be not)?

Text_IO.ads is, IIRC, a renaming of Ada.Text_IO. (It might be the other way.) This was a concession to Ada 83 compatibility with the advent/introduction of hierarchical library packages.

* Re: ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-18  0:33   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-11-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 wrote:
> On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 4:38:17 PM UTC-7, Victor Porton wrote:
>> Why on my Debian Linux installation (with GNAT 7.2.0 installed) there is
>> no file ada-text_io.ads (which as it seems should be) but there is
>> text_io.ads (which should be not)?
>

> Text_IO.ads is, IIRC, a renaming of Ada.Text_IO. (It might be the other
> way.) This was a concession to Ada 83 compatibility with the
> advent/introduction of hierarchical library packages.

But this does not answer the question why there is no ada-text_io.ads files.

--

@ 2017-11-18  1:34     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2017-11-18  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Victor Porton" <porton@narod.ru> wrote in message
> Shark8 wrote:
>> On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 4:38:17 PM UTC-7, Victor Porton wrote:
>>> Why on my Debian Linux installation (with GNAT 7.2.0 installed) there is
>>> no file ada-text_io.ads (which as it seems should be) but there is
>>> text_io.ads (which should be not)?
>>

>> Text_IO.ads is, IIRC, a renaming of Ada.Text_IO. (It might be the other
>> way.) This was a concession to Ada 83 compatibility with the
>> advent/introduction of hierarchical library packages.
>
> But this does not answer the question why there is no ada-text_io.ads
> files.

I think GNAT uses some weird convention for the source files for the
runtime. (They all seem to start "a-<something>".) I'd look in the
super-secret documentation for that if I actually needed to know the
details.

                                         Randy.

* Re: ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-18  3:32 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-11-18  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

The file names for Ada.*, GNAT.* and System.* are shortened to hold on 8 letters.
This is due to an old system called DOS that had this limitation.
Perhaps GCC rules still requires it, or it would need a significant effort to change GNAT's naming rules...
Funnily, someone, somewhere still builds a GNAT for DOS:
(see ada550* files there : http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/ )
G.

* Re: ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-18  7:28   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2017-11-18  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-11-18 05:32 , gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:
> The file names for Ada.*, GNAT.* and System.* are shortened to hold
> on 8 letters.

The GNAT tool "gnatkr", where "kr" means "krunch", implements this
abbreviation. You run it from the command line with the normal GNAT
file-name as the argument; it prints out the abbreviated file name. For
example:

 > gnatkr ada-text_io.ads
a-textio.ads

(where ">" is my prompt character).

> Perhaps GCC rules still requires it

I seem to remember that some GNAT versions require this abbreviated
naming for the run-time-system sources.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: ada-text_io.ads & text_io.ads
@ 2017-11-18  8:26     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-11-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

>> Perhaps GCC rules still requires it
>
> I seem to remember that some GNAT versions require this abbreviated
> naming for the run-time-system sources.

Not sure that there's a GNAT version that doesn't!

Actually, the rules may be a little relaxed for non-standard RTS
components: I named the file containing System.FreeRTOS.Memory
s-fremem.ads as indicated by gnatkr, but the RTS will build happily with
file name system-freertos-memory.adb.

The 8-character filename restriction dates back to DOS days, of
course. There are still references to DJGPP in the GCC sources.