* How to deal with Ada libraries?
@ 2017-10-29 18:12 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-10-29 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I decided to use Dmitry A. Kazakov's Simple Components library in my big
serious project (which is to contain a command line utility and a HTTP(S)
proxy server).

I am to choose of three variants:

1. create a Makefile to build the Simple Components library and link to this
library;

2. don't create a library but just include Dmitry's files as a part of my
source;

3. just install the Debian package built by Dmitry.

The "3" variant has the deficiency that because the Dmitry's package is not
in Debian, this may cause difficulty in the future to make my own Debian
package of my software.

Please help me to choose the best variant.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: How to deal with Ada libraries?
@ 2017-10-29 18:51 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-10-29 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-10-29 19:12, Victor Porton wrote:

> I am to choose of three variants:
>
> 1. create a Makefile to build the Simple Components library and link to this
> library;

Why not gprbuild?

> 2. don't create a library but just include Dmitry's files as a part of my
> source;

If you use project files, and you should, there is no difference unless
you wanted a dynamically-linked library. Using sources is more
comfortable with GPS as you could easily browse the implementations and
fix them if necessary.

> 3. just install the Debian package built by Dmitry.
>
> The "3" variant has the deficiency that because the Dmitry's package is not
> in Debian, this may cause difficulty in the future to make my own Debian
> package of my software.

Again no difference for a static library.

Note that there might be dependencies on third-party packages. E.g. if
you wanted to use secure HTTP, you would depend on GNUTLS (for AWS it
would be OpenSSL).

For the case of having dynamic libraries and your own Debian package,
you would probably set up your own repository. Then you would just put
there any packages you needed which are not in the standard repository.
So I don't see a problem here.

P.S. Any choice is easily reversible if you use project files. I would
strongly recommend to ditch makefile, automake et al, sooner, the better.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: How to deal with Ada libraries?
@ 2017-10-29 18:53 ` Spiros Bousbouras
From: Spiros Bousbouras @ 2017-10-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:12:45 +0200
Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> wrote:
> I decided to use Dmitry A. Kazakov's Simple Components library in my big
> serious project (which is to contain a command line utility and a HTTP(S)
> proxy server).

Is your project something which will be running on your own computers
or is it something that users will download and compile on their own
computer ?

> I am to choose of three variants:
>
> 1. create a Makefile to build the Simple Components library and link to this
> library;
>
> 2. don't create a library but just include Dmitry's files as a part of my
> source;
>
> 3. just install the Debian package built by Dmitry.
>
> The "3" variant has the deficiency that because the Dmitry's package is not
> in Debian, this may cause difficulty in the future to make my own Debian
> package of my software.

What does it take to get a package accepted to the official Debian
distribution ?

@ 2017-10-29 21:24   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-10-29 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:12:45 +0200
> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> wrote:
>> I decided to use Dmitry A. Kazakov's Simple Components library in my big
>> serious project (which is to contain a command line utility and a HTTP(S)
>> proxy server).
>
> Is your project something which will be running on your own computers
> or is it something that users will download and compile on their own
> computer ?

It is public open source free software which is to run on multiple PCs and
servers.

Yes, the users may compile my code.

@ 2017-10-29 21:26   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-10-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On 2017-10-29 19:12, Victor Porton wrote:
>
>> I am to choose of three variants:
>>
>> 1. create a Makefile to build the Simple Components library and link to
>> this library;
>
> Why not gprbuild?

I call gprbuild from my Makefiles.

>> 2. don't create a library but just include Dmitry's files as a part of my
>> source;
>
> If you use project files, and you should, there is no difference unless
> you wanted a dynamically-linked library. Using sources is more
> comfortable with GPS as you could easily browse the implementations and
> fix them if necessary.
>
>> 3. just install the Debian package built by Dmitry.
>>
>> The "3" variant has the deficiency that because the Dmitry's package is
>> not in Debian, this may cause difficulty in the future to make my own
>> Debian package of my software.
>
> Again no difference for a static library.
>
> Note that there might be dependencies on third-party packages. E.g. if
> you wanted to use secure HTTP, you would depend on GNUTLS (for AWS it
> would be OpenSSL).
>
> For the case of having dynamic libraries and your own Debian package,
> you would probably set up your own repository. Then you would just put
> there any packages you needed which are not in the standard repository.
> So I don't see a problem here.
>
> P.S. Any choice is easily reversible if you use project files. I would
> strongly recommend to ditch makefile, automake et al, sooner, the better.

Yes, I do use automake and autoconf.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org