From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: How to deal with Ada libraries?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 19:51:19 +0100
Date: 2017-10-29T19:51:19+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2017-10-29 19:12, Victor Porton wrote:

> I am to choose of three variants:
>
> 1. create a Makefile to build the Simple Components library and link to this
> library;

Why not gprbuild?

> 2. don't create a library but just include Dmitry's files as a part of my
> source;

If you use project files, and you should, there is no difference unless
you wanted a dynamically-linked library. Using sources is more
comfortable with GPS as you could easily browse the implementations and
fix them if necessary.

> 3. just install the Debian package built by Dmitry.
>
> The "3" variant has the deficiency that because the Dmitry's package is not
> in Debian, this may cause difficulty in the future to make my own Debian
> package of my software.

Again no difference for a static library.

Note that there might be dependencies on third-party packages. E.g. if
you wanted to use secure HTTP, you would depend on GNUTLS (for AWS it
would be OpenSSL).

For the case of having dynamic libraries and your own Debian package,
you would probably set up your own repository. Then you would just put
there any packages you needed which are not in the standard repository.
So I don't see a problem here.

P.S. Any choice is easily reversible if you use project files. I would
strongly recommend to ditch makefile, automake et al, sooner, the better.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov