From: "Nick Roberts" <nick.roberts@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Should be getting a constraint error in this code
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:14:12 +0100
Date: 2004-07-25T16:14:12+01:00	[thread overview]

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:54:09 +0200, Martin Krischik
<krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Well observed!

Yes!

> But since he used a range and not a mod I would consider it a
> bug within the GNAT compiler.

I was surprised by GNAT's behaviour here, but I think we have to
stop short of calling it a bug for two reasons: (1) since
assigning an invalid value in the scope of pragma
Suppress(Range_Check), as is effectively the case here, is a
bounded error, GNAT's subsequent behaviour is entitled to be
wrong; (2) since the type was declared with a lower bound of 0,
it seems passable (if a bit weird) for T'Image to be implemented
using the same algorithm as for an unsigned byte.

--
Nick Roberts