From: "Ed Falis" <falis@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Artistically creative expression has no role in software design
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:56:22 GMT
Date: 2004-07-19T18:56:22+00:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:46:58 -0500, Marc A. Criley <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com>
wrote:

> Ada's case for the third axis of optimization, "easier for the
> programmer to
> modify" (which is subjective), can be strongly made as well. With its
> design
> goal of readability, fully object-oriented capabilities, and the strong
> typing that makes it easier to modify software _correctly_, again Ada
> shines.
> After you get past the knee-jerk reaction to Heer's conclusion (which
> I'll
> admit to), sit back and really think about software, its function, and
> how
> to achieve _correctness_ and _efficiency_ in design and programming.
> Software development starts to become less about creative expression, and
> more like a quest, trying to find the elegant implementation of
> functionality. Refactoring, anyone?

Do you really believe that achieving modifiability does not require
creativity and artistry with the elements of software design?

I'd say the same about achieving appropriate designs that balance the
optimization dimensions listed in your summary (not to mention scope
relative to implementation approach).  Further, while refactoring
operations can be performed automatically, appropriate selection among
them in a given context is once again a matter of judgment etc.

- Ed

--
"When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a wise man. Somehow, I just
turned out to be a wise guy".