* ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-05 10:39 Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-05 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

does anybody know about an Ada95 ftp client package?
Best would be platform independent.
Tia,
Frank Piron

Crisis? What Crisis?
f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-05 21:49 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-07-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <opsanuklwum0et4w@news.online.de>, Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> writes:

> does anybody know about an Ada95 ftp client package?
> Best would be platform independent.

A "platform independent" client would likely not support Macintosh
resource forks, VMS file attributes, etc.

When you say "platform independent" do you mean "Unix subset of file
system capabilities" ?

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-06  6:06   ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-06  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

5 Jul 2004 16:49:14 -0500  Larry Kilgallen <Kilgallen@SpamCop.net> wrote:

> In article <opsanuklwum0et4w@news.online.de>, Frank Piron
> <empty@zero.nil> writes:
>
>> does anybody know about an Ada95 ftp client package?
>> Best would be platform independent.
>
> A "platform independent" client would likely not support Macintosh
> resource forks, VMS file attributes, etc.
>
> When you say "platform independent" do you mean "Unix subset of file
> system capabilities" ?

Sorry, I mean: bound to POSIX rather than bound to CLAW.

@ 2004-07-06 21:27 ` Bernd Specht
From: Bernd Specht @ 2004-07-06 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote in news:opsanuklwum0et4w@news.online.de:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody know about an Ada95 ftp client package?
> Best would be platform independent.
> Tia,
> Frank Piron
>
> Crisis? What Crisis?
> f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

hi,

not sure what you search. a set of windows routines are available from a
friend at "http:alfhilsch.bei.t-online.de/sophi.zip".
he told me, that he is working on a linux port.

but it contains only ftp-routines, it's not a client with a user interface.

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-07  2:34     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-07-07  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > When you say "platform independent" do you mean "Unix subset of file
> > system capabilities" ?
>
> Sorry, I mean: bound to POSIX rather than bound to CLAW.
  An ftp client package bound to neither POSIX nor CLAW, but to Windows,
is at ftpetc.zip and nc.zip at http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran
NC stands for Not Claw, and ought to be easily ported from Windows, but
I haven't had a change to do that myself.

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-07  6:10   ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-07  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

06 Jul 2004 21:27:31 GMT Bernd Specht <Bernd.Specht@gmx.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> not sure what you search. a set of windows routines are available from a
> friend at "http:alfhilsch.bei.t-online.de/sophi.zip".
> he told me, that he is working on a linux port.
>
> but it contains only ftp-routines, it's not a client with a user
> interface.

Thanks! At the first glance, the routines in ftp.ads seem to do
an explicit login. In my application i will try to hold the connection
as long as possible and re - login only if necessary.
But the package is useful anyway for me.

@ 2004-07-07  6:13       ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-07  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:34:26 GMT <tmoran@acm.org> wrote:

>   An ftp client package bound to neither POSIX nor CLAW, but to Windows,
> is at ftpetc.zip and nc.zip at http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran
> NC stands for Not Claw, and ought to be easily ported from Windows, but
> I haven't had a change to do that myself.

Thanks! I will try it soon.

@ 2004-07-07 12:12       ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-07 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:34:26 GMT  <tmoran@acm.org> wrote:

>> > When you say "platform independent" do you mean "Unix subset of file
>> > system capabilities" ?
>>
>> Sorry, I mean: bound to POSIX rather than bound to CLAW.
>   An ftp client package bound to neither POSIX nor CLAW, but to Windows,
> is at ftpetc.zip and nc.zip at http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran
> NC stands for Not Claw, and ought to be easily ported from Windows, but
> I haven't had a change to do that myself.

Your package works fine for us!
Is there a need to set it on top of say adasockets?

@ 2004-07-07 21:33         ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-07-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Your package works fine for us!
>Is there a need to set it on top of say adasockets?
  I'm confused: if it works fine, there's no need to change anything.
NC is compiler independent.  Adasockets is a Gnat thing, right?

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-08  6:18           ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-08  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:33:30 GMT <tmoran@acm.org> wrote:

>> Your package works fine for us!
>> Is there a need to set it on top of say adasockets?
>   I'm confused: if it works fine, there's no need to change anything.

Our packages will be deployed on win32 and UNIX (Solaris)/Gnu Linux.
We have done the test of your ftp client package on win32 and all worked
fine.
  But on UNIX/Gnu Linux it will (of course) not work.

> NC is compiler independent.  Adasockets is a Gnat thing, right?

AFAIK Adasockets was developed for Gnat, but i have not checked if
there are dependencies on the Gnat specific library. We have already
developed
a document server based on Adasockets. The server runs on win32 and UNIX
(Solaris)
/Gnu Linux.

@ 2004-07-08  8:13             ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-07-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>We have done the test of your ftp client package on win32 and all worked
>fine.
>  But on UNIX/Gnu Linux it will (of course) not work.
  The only things I *know* need changing from Windows to Linux are the
initial WSAStartup and the terminating WSACleanup calls in NC.

* Re: ftp client package in ada95
@ 2004-07-08  9:05               ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-07-08  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:13:34 GMT <tmoran@acm.org> wrote:

>> We have done the test of your ftp client package on win32 and all worked
>> fine.
>>  But on UNIX/Gnu Linux it will (of course) not work.
>   The only things I *know* need changing from Windows to Linux are the
> initial WSAStartup and the terminating WSACleanup calls in NC.

We will try to replace the calls to WSAStartup/WSACleanup and will give
you a feedback.

Regards,
Frank Piron

f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t