* Announce: Debian Policy for Ada, First Edition
@ 2004-07-11 17:41 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2004-07-11 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

After receiving comments from several people, I have updated the
Debian Policy for Ada.  I deem it to be worthy of an official First
Edition.  This does not however mean that I will not accept any more
comments or contributions; these are always welcome.  Compared to
Draft 4, here are the changes:

Introduction:
* More contributors acknowdleged.

Choosing the GNAT compiler:
* New section: "History of GNAT".
* GNAT Pro: described the test suite used at ACT.
* GNAT Public releases: referred to the test suite.
* Timeline of GNAT Pro releases: mention the "wavefront" releases.
* Timeline of FSF releases: GCC 3.4.1 released.
* GLADE CVS repository at ACT-Europe mentioned.
* Ada 2005 features in GCC 3.4.

Policy for libraries:
* Turn the chapter into one node per section.
* New section: "Building libraries for reuse".
* New section: "Mandatory files provided by the -dev package", contains
  the former sections about source, object, *.ali, and library files,
  now in subsections.
* Mention recently added support for *.ali files in lintian, linda and
  dh_fixperms.
* Replace @code{} with @file{} in many places.
* Section "Shared libraries" renamed to "Files provided by the shared
  library package".

The Debian Policy for Ada is on my web site in HTML[1] and Texinfo[2]
formats.  In addition, I intend to upload it to Debian if my sponsor
agrees.  This means that it will be available a Debian package named
debian-ada-policy.  This package will include the document in Info,
ASCII and PDF formats in addition to HTML and Texinfo source.

[1] http://users.skynet.be/ludovic.brenta/debian-ada-policy.html
[2] http://users.skynet.be/ludovic.brenta/debian-ada-policy.texi

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Announce: Debian Policy for Ada, First Edition
@ 2004-07-11 19:54 ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-07-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> After receiving comments from several people, I have updated the
> Debian Policy for Ada.  I deem it to be worthy of an official First
> Edition.

I read a little out of curiosity and stumbled on three typos:

"althouth"
"sraightforward"
"is is" ("it is")

--
Björn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Announce: Debian Policy for Ada, First Edition
@ 2004-07-12  4:27 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-07-12  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

A minor note.
In a recent message on the gcc mailing list:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-07/msg00277.html

Robert Dewar made the request: "please don't abbreviate AdaCore as ACT,
thanks"

Personally I'm used to calling them ACT, but will try to shift to using
AdaCore.

Steve
(The Duck)

@ 2004-07-12 13:14   ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2004-07-12 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve wrote:

> Robert Dewar made the request: "please don't abbreviate AdaCore as ACT,
> thanks"

Hmm, then I can't help wondering why they chose a name like "ACT Europe"
for the Paris office.

--

@ 2004-07-15 22:22     ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2004-07-15 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:14:08 GMT, Björn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil>
wrote:

> Hmm, then I can't help wondering why they chose a name like "ACT Europe"
> for the Paris office.

That just happened to have come before we decided to use "AdaCore" to
designate both the European and US contingents.

- Ed