* Gwindows Development Team
@ 2004-04-20 14:12 Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-04-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
who would like to work in a new Gwindows
development team?
who would like to manage the sources
and coordinate work?
We at KonAd are willing to contribute and
change our coding standards if necessary.
Crisis? What Crisis?
f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

* Re: Gwindows Development Team
@ 2004-04-24 10:33 ` Stephen McNeill
From: Stephen McNeill @ 2004-04-24 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote in message news:<opr6rdripgm0et4w@news.online.de>...
> Hi,
> who would like to work in a new Gwindows
> development team?
> who would like to manage the sources
> and coordinate work?

There seems to have been a deafening silence on this issue, although
Frank's note was posted onto the Gnavi list, and Craig Carey made a
few comments. I feel that there are probably several people who would
like to help, including myself, but I think it's quite difficult to
take the coordination role on, given that GWindows was the effort of
one person.

Frank, can you give us an update on any feedback you've had on this
issue from your postings?

I think GWindows has been such a good working Windows model that it
would be a shame to see it lose out on development, and there are some
fine applications out there using it. I hope something can be worked
out.

Stephen

* Re: Gwindows Development Team
@ 2004-04-26  6:26   ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-04-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

24 Apr 2004 03:33:19 -0700 Stephen McNeill
<mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz> wrote:

> Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> who would like to work in a new Gwindows
>> development team?
>> who would like to manage the sources
>> and coordinate work?
>
> There seems to have been a deafening silence on this issue, although
> Frank's note was posted onto the Gnavi list, and Craig Carey made a
> few comments. I feel that there are probably several people who would
> like to help, including myself, but I think it's quite difficult to
> take the coordination role on, given that GWindows was the effort of
> one person.
>
> Frank, can you give us an update on any feedback you've had on this
> issue from your postings?

Beneath the comments from Craig Carey and what was posted here
i got one very positive response from Gautier de Montmollin.
Probably we will meet in Zurich (CH) soon.

> I think GWindows has been such a good working Windows model that it
> would be a shame to see it lose out on development,

One year ago i had to choose between GtkAda, CLAW, GWindows since
we had commited us already to Ada95 in a project and a windows GUI
is a central part (see the development screenshot on our site) of it.
I finally decided for GWindows because it is easy to understand
(from our point of view) and it runs quick and stable.

We found some minor bugs in some message handlers, but we fixed
them in our derived types. And that is a problem i think: Be-
cause we followed the rule not to touch the original source,
we fixed some bugs and build many extensions only in our derived types.
But to get a coherent library we should move the code up to the
parents.

> and there are some
> fine applications out there using it.

Do you have a list of such applications?

I hope something can be worked
> out.

So do i.

> Stephen

Frank

@ 2004-04-26 22:13     ` Stephen McNeill
From: Stephen McNeill @ 2004-04-26 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote in message news:<opr61v5qylm0et4w@news.online.de>...

> Do you have a list of such applications?

There are a number of smaller projects around on the web, although it
can be difficult to separate them from the proliferation of Microsoft
gWindows (gesture windows) references. Most appear to be internal,
with source not available, so they can't be used as effective models.
The most prominent of the larger applications are Ross Higson's
"Terminal Emulator" and Gautier de Montmollins "TeXCAD". Both provide
good models of programming, in both Ada95 and GWindows. And I presume
there are some larger GWindows projects that David Botton has worked
on.

Stephen