* Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-12 13:40 gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-09-12 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just an update on this project which is sleeping but not completely dead...
To facilitate things, I've uploaded a few resources

- zipped sources
- binary executable for Windows (*)
- a few screenshots

@ https://sourceforge.net/projects/wasabee/
___
(*) before anyone begins to panic: Wasabee is multi-platform; currently there are the following targets in various states:

 - Text (console output, good for testing the HTML parser...)
 - SDL
 - Windows (already multi-tab, multi-window, supports hyperlinks, back & forward navigation).

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-12 16:51 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-09-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 7:40:59 AM UTC-6, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Just an update on this project which is sleeping but not completely dead...
> To facilitate things, I've uploaded a few resources

Awesome! / Good work.

I did have a few questions and ideas:
(1) Would having a SGML parser, and definitions for HTML, XML, XHTML, EDGAR, etc be desirable? -- It would be a bit more work up-front, but give some big returns on flexibility.
(2) If the above SGML is used, a sort of "root DOM"/"generic DOM" might extend the benefits of having a uniform document-interface to things like scripts and extensions/plug-ins.
(3) Will the scripting engine be JavaScript, or more general? (i.e. allowing an "AdaScript".)
(4) Are you the only contributor? and Are you looking for others to contribute?
(5) WRT scripting/VMs, what do you think of SPARK?

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-12 20:16   ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-09-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I did have a few questions and ideas:
> (1) Would having a SGML parser, and definitions for HTML, XML, XHTML, EDGAR, etc be desirable? -- It would be a bit more work up-front, but give some big returns on flexibility.

You certainly know better in this subject. Do you have a SGML parser ?
In this case you can test it first in a sandbox on random Web pages to evaluate its usefulness.
The Wikipedia page on this topic seems a bit pessimistic about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Generalized_Markup_Language#HTML
It confirms my experience (on both sides: writing HTML by hand, or parsing HTML for Wasabee) - from the very beginning, browsers are adapted to the lowest possible HTML code quality. The market forces would eliminate a browser that expects "correct" HTML. For XHTML, it's even simpler: you can probably count on one hand the XHTML web sites. Even features meant to be not supported anymore in the HTML standard, like frames or the <font> tag, are of course supported by major browsers. Once it's there, it's forever...

> (3) Will the scripting engine be JavaScript, or more general? (i.e. allowing an "AdaScript".)

I'd start with a JavaScript subset, growing step by step.

> (4) Are you the only contributor?
At the moment it seems so.
> and Are you looking for others to contribute?
Not actively, but contributions are always welcome.

> (5) WRT scripting/VMs, what do you think of SPARK?
No opinion - someone ?

G.

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-13 10:07 ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2017-09-13 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like it!  Well, I did not try it yet, but I like the idea.  I just tweeded about it.

Go on and keep us up-to-date if you need help

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-13 19:48 ` Tarjei Jensen
From: Tarjei Jensen @ 2017-09-13 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Impressive!

I would assume that it would be most practical to divide the project at least into two. One browser and one rendering engine.

I think people might want to use the rendering engine in other projects.

As far as scripting goes, it is difficult to avoid JavaScript. If you want something more suitable for humans, I would suggest something like basic. Mainly because basic tends to be readable and have sensible string functions.

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-14  4:47   ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-09-14  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 13 septembre 2017 21:48:42 UTC+2, Tarjei Jensen a écrit :

> I would assume that it would be most practical to divide the project at least into two. One browser and one rendering engine.

It is already the case: Wasabee.Request and Wasabee.Hypertext.Display packages.
The first can acquire resources while the other one can display several times what has been loaded so far.

Sure, the HT_object to be rendered could be built from other sources than normal http:// or file:// requests but perhaps from a Zip file containing an entire document (like a book, a help booklet, ...); you could want to parse HTML or other formats.

> As far as scripting goes, it is difficult to avoid JavaScript. If you want something more suitable for humans, I would suggest something like basic. Mainly because basic tends to be readable and have sensible string functions.

:-)

* Re: Wasabee 0.0.2 (Ada Web browser) downloads
@ 2017-09-14 11:19   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2017-09-14 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:48:40 -0700, Tarjei Jensen wrote:

> Impressive!
>
> I would assume that it would be most practical to divide the project at
> least into two. One browser and one rendering engine.
>
> I think people might want to use the rendering engine in other projects.
>
> As far as scripting goes, it is difficult to avoid JavaScript. If you
> want something more suitable for humans, I would suggest something like
> basic. Mainly because basic tends to be readable and have sensible
> string functions.

If you need scripting (in addition to Javascript which is ubiquitous...)

Rather than adding Basic, why not pull in the SparForte project, and
script in Ada?

-- Brian