From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Allocators and the requirement to raise `Storage_Error`
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 10:36:22 +0200
Date: 2013-05-03T10:36:22+02:00	[thread overview]

Le Fri, 03 May 2013 09:31:56 +0200, egilhh <egilhovik@hotmail.com> a écrit:

> On Friday, May 3, 2013 7:35:29 AM UTC+2, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:
>> ARM 2012 @4.8 says:
>>

>> http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/12rm/html/RM-4-8.html
>>
>> > For an allocator with a subtype_indication, the
>>
>> > subtype_indication shall not specify a null_exclusion
>>

> This Ada Issue may clear things up for you:
> http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ai05s/ai05-0104-1.txt?rev=1.4
>
> Basically, you have an access to an access, allocated with the default
> value,
> which is null for non-initialized access values.

You're right, that's obvious. I badly understand reading that part: it was
about the subtype of the allocated object, not of the returned access type.

I still wonder why there is no provision for an allocator to return `null`
instead of raising an exception, when a custom function of a constrained
subtype/type, which would provide the same functionality, does not get
imposed this obligation.