* Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10  8:47 J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2012-12-10  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
birthday. Have a look!
--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 12:09 ` Georg Bauhaus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2012-12-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10.12.12 09:47, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
> birthday. Have a look!

Reactions to Google's Doodle in German newspapers are fairly good.
They are puzzling or incorrect to a reasonably small extent only.
From the original content to be sold, archived, and payed for by
the equivalence class of Google, by a German law-to-be:

``Yet, there is hardly anyone among computer scientists on earth
who has not mastered "Ada", the first standardized programming
language.''

(Doch unter allen Informatikern auf der Welt gibt es so gut wie
niemanden, der "Ada" nicht beherrscht, die erste standardisierte
Programmiersprache.)

``Today, Ada's name stands for several programming languages
with static binding of types.''

(Adas Name steht heute (...) f�r mehrere Programmiersprachen mit
statischer Typenbindung.)

   -- written for publisher Axel Springer AG (Die Welt).

``Today, there is even a programming language named after Ada Lovelace.''

(Heute gibt es sogar eine Programmiersprache, die nach Ada Lovelace
benannt ist.)

``Ada is primarily used in industries relevant to safety,
for example in space travel, in the medical area, or in
air trafic control.''

(Ada wird vor allem in sicherheitsrelevanten Branchen eingesetzt,
zum Beispiel in der Raumfahrt, im Medizinbereich oder in
der Flugsicherung.)

   -- written for S�ddeutsche Zeitung Digitale Medien GmbH /
      S�ddeutsche Zeitung GmbH

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 15:42 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-12-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:47:24 +0100, J-P. Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr> a écrit:

> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
> birthday. Have a look!

Three years left to the bicentenary. Hope this will be an opportunity for
some events.

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 17:24 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2012-12-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/10/2012 01:47 AM, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
> birthday. Have a look!

Also our favorite language, born today in 1980.

--
Jeff Carter
"If you don't get the President of the United States on that

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 18:41   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2012-12-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Primeval times when Babbage dwelt:
not were bit nor byte
nor operating system,
not hardware below
nor above software,
abyss abundant,
but computer nowhere.

And lo, there was Ada,
and Ada separated the numbers
and split them,
in Zero and One did she split them.

And there was Zuse,
and Zuse created the beast Z1,
which fed on the numbers
created by Ada,
and there was absolute joy among mankind.

And mankind created languages
that they be able to command the creatures
which fed on the numbers,
and the numbers were commands
and the commands were numbers.

And there rose two giants,
Fortran and Algol.
And the giants were fruitful and multiplied,
and sprang from them of languages countless many:
APL and PL/1,
Simula and Jovial,
Lisp and Cobol.
And Wirth created Pascal and Modula.
And there were Oberon and Occam and Eiffel,
C and C++,
Prolog and Smalltalk.

And there was a great confusion among mankind,
and one man did not understand the other man's words,
and some did not understand their own words.

And DoD spake:
"Let us restore concord among mankind
and create ONE language,
that all men speak the same language,
in the large as in the small."

And there arose Strawman,
and Strawman begat Woodenman,
and Woodenman begat Tinman,
and Tinman begat Ironman.
Ironman however begat Steelman.

And lo, from him emerged of colours four:
Red, Green, Yellow and Blue.

And the colours were weighed and found wanting
except one.

And ANSI spake to Green:
"Ada shalt be thy name henceforth
and servest all mankind
in the large as in the small."

And DoD spake:
"Thou shalt not have another language beside Ada."

And Ada shone in beauty,
and it was the day of the Lord
the 10th of December 1980.

© Copyright 2000 C.K.W. Grein

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 22:04     ` Hans Vlems
From: Hans Vlems @ 2012-12-10 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 dec, 19:41, AdaMagica <christ-usch.gr...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Primeval times when Babbage dwelt:
> not were bit nor byte
> nor operating system,
> not hardware below
> nor above software,
> abyss abundant,
> but computer nowhere.
>
> And lo, there was Ada,
> and Ada separated the numbers
> and split them,
> in Zero and One did she split them.
>
> And there was Zuse,
> and Zuse created the beast Z1,
> which fed on the numbers
> created by Ada,
> and there was absolute joy among mankind.
>
> And mankind created languages
> that they be able to command the creatures
> which fed on the numbers,
> and the numbers were commands
> and the commands were numbers.
>
> And there rose two giants,
> Fortran and Algol.
> And the giants were fruitful and multiplied,
> and sprang from them of languages countless many:
> APL and PL/1,
> Simula and Jovial,
> Lisp and Cobol.
> And Wirth created Pascal and Modula.
> And there were Oberon and Occam and Eiffel,
> C and C++,
> Prolog and Smalltalk.
>
> And there was a great confusion among mankind,
> and one man did not understand the other man's words,
> and some did not understand their own words.
>
> And DoD spake:
> "Let us restore concord among mankind
> and create ONE language,
> that all men speak the same language,
> in the large as in the small."
>
> And there arose Strawman,
> and Strawman begat Woodenman,
> and Woodenman begat Tinman,
> and Tinman begat Ironman.
> Ironman however begat Steelman.
>
> And lo, from him emerged of colours four:
> Red, Green, Yellow and Blue.
>
> And the colours were weighed and found wanting
> except one.
>
> And ANSI spake to Green:
> "Ada shalt be thy name henceforth
> and servest all mankind
> in the large as in the small."
>
> And DoD spake:
> "Thou shalt not have another language beside Ada."
>
> And Ada shone in beauty,
> and it was the day of the Lord
> the 10th of December 1980.
>
> © Copyright 2000 C.K.W. Grein

Thanks, I hadn't come across this poem before.
Hans

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-10 23:40   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2012-12-10 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote in message
> On 12/10/2012 01:47 AM, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
>> birthday. Have a look!
>
> Also our favorite language, born today in 1980.

We tried to get the Ada 2012 standard to be published today, but
unfortunately ISO's procedures only allow publishing on certain days of the
month which do not include the 10th. It would have been cool to have it
debut exactly 2**5 years after the original. :-)

                                            Randy.

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2012-12-11  1:03   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-12-11  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:24:23 +0100, Jeffrey Carter
<spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> a écrit:

> On 12/10/2012 01:47 AM, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
>> birthday. Have a look!
>
> Also our favorite language, born today in 1980.

Ah yes, indeed. Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)#History

@ 2012-12-11 10:16     ` Ken Thomas
From: Ken Thomas @ 2012-12-11 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada Follies used to be a feature of Ada conferences especially around 1990. I can remember "I am the very model of a modern reference manual".

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-07 18:59 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2013-01-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:24 AM UTC-8, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's birthday. Have a look! -- J-P. Rosen Adalog 2 rue du Docteur Lombard, 92441 Issy-les-Moulineaux CEDEX Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00 http://www.adalog.fr

The Washington Post also had an article about it, http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-10/business/35745753_1_google-doodle-charles-babbage-ada-lovelace. I wish I have seen it earlier.

A. Vo

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2013-01-08  3:03   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2013-01-08  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Anh Vo" <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:24 AM UTC-8, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
>> birthday. Have a look! -- J-P. Rosen Adalog 2 rue du Docteur Lombard,
>> 92441 Issy-les-Moulineaux CEDEX Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29
>> 25 00 http://www.adalog.fr
>
> The Washington Post also had an article about it,
> http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-10/business/35745753_1_google-doodle-charles-babbage-ada-lovelace. I
> wish I have seen it earlier.

So did CNN. (I can't find the link any more, all I found was the Spanish
language version.)

All of that activity about "Ada" caused a big spike in visits to AdaIC on
December 9-10. We need more such publicity.

                                        Randy.

* Re: Happy birthday Lady Ada - on Google!
@ 2013-01-08 15:59     ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-01-08 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Tue, 08 Jan 2013 04:03:20 +0100, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com>
a écrit:

> "Anh Vo" <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Monday, December 10, 2012 12:47:24 AM UTC-8, J-P. Rosen wrote:
>>> Google's little picture of today is celebrating our favorite Lady's
>>> birthday. Have a look! -- J-P. Rosen Adalog 2 rue du Docteur Lombard,
>>> 92441 Issy-les-Moulineaux CEDEX Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45
>>> 29
>>> 25 00 http://www.adalog.fr
>>
>> The Washington Post also had an article about it,
>> http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-10/business/35745753_1_google-doodle-charles-babbage-ada-lovelace.
>> wish I have seen it earlier.
>
> So did CNN. (I can't find the link any more, all I found was the Spanish
> language version.)
>
> All of that activity about "Ada" caused a big spike in visits to AdaIC on
> December 9-10. We need more such publicity.
>
>                                         Randy.

Did they really visited the site and get time to read papers ?