* Hint for users of AdaControl (-m, -o, -r and -w options)
@ 2012-06-05  6:33 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-06-05  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi happy AdaControl users,

Don't know if this was already noticed somewhere, but I've just noticed
some care must taken when one use the “-w“ in a specific circumstance:
this option direct the adactl command to overwrite the output file
specifies by the “-o <file>” option. If you do so *with* the “-r” option
*without* the “-m” option, you will a get an output file looking like
truncated. The output file will be overwritten for each processed units
spec' and body. When the “-m” option is specified, this undesired behavior
is not exposed.

Conclusion: if you use the options “-o” “-r” and “-w” all together, always
serve it with an “-m” option (this will also prevent you from erroneously
suspecting a bug in adactl ;-) ).

* Re: Hint for users of AdaDep (-m, -o, -r and -w options)
@ 2012-06-05  6:42 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-06-05  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Tue, 05 Jun 2012 08:33:54 +0200, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> a écrit:

> Hi happy AdaDep users,
>
> Don't know if this was already noticed somewhere, but I've just noticed
> some care must be taken when one use the “-w“ option in a specific
> circumstance: this option direct the adadep command to overwrite the
> output file specified by the “-o <file>” option. If you do so *with* the
> “-r” option *without* the “-m” option, you will a get an output file
> looking like truncated. The output file will be overwritten for each
> processed units spec' and body. When the “-m” option is specified, this
> undesired behavior is not exposed.
>
> Conclusion: if you use the options “-o” “-r” and “-w” all together,
> always serve it with an “-m” option (this will also prevent you from
> erroneously suspecting a bug in adadep ;-) ).

Oh, shit! I wanted to say AdaDep (sorry for the wrong thread's title). In
the above, replace all adactl occurrences, by adadep (that's me, which is
buggy). Fixed in the quote.

* Re: Hint for users of AdaDep (-m, -o, -r and -w options)
@ 2012-06-06  7:39   ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2012-06-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 05/06/2012 08:42, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) a écrit :
> Le Tue, 05 Jun 2012 08:33:54 +0200, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
> <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> a écrit:
>
>> Hi happy AdaDep users,
>>
>> Don't know if this was already noticed somewhere, but I've just
>> noticed some care must be taken when one use the “-w“ option in a
>> specific circumstance: this option direct the adadep command to
>> overwrite the output file specified by the “-o <file>” option. If you
>> do so *with* the “-r” option *without* the “-m” option, you will a get
>> an output file looking like truncated. The output file will be
>> overwritten for each processed units spec' and body. When the “-m”
>> option is specified, this undesired behavior is not exposed.
>>
>> Conclusion: if you use the options “-o” “-r” and “-w” all together,
>> always serve it with an “-m” option (this will also prevent you from
>> erroneously suspecting a bug in adadep ;-) ).

I think I overlooked this issue. This is not the goal of the -m option.
The intended behaviour is that without -m you get a listing for each
unit, and with -m all the listings are merged. I noticed also that -m is
poorly documented...

I'll try to find the time to fix that (possibly in the plane between
Paris and Stockholm!)

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog