From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Low_Level_IO, what is it?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 07:29:29 +0200
Date: 2012-06-04T07:29:29+02:00	[thread overview]

Le Sun, 03 Jun 2012 17:59:59 +0200, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> a écrit:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:04:05 -0700 (PDT), heresy-me@hotmail.com declaimed
> the following in comp.lang.ada:
>
>> Low_Level_IO, a Ada package name that I saw in some older Ada book.But
>> I cannot found it in Ada12 Reference.
>> What is Low_Level_IO?
>
> 	Most likely a description of an "idealized" interface to machine
> specific I/O operations, intended for use in an pure Ada run-time --
> instead of the more common POSIX/C run-time bindings (as used by GNAT)
> on top of a full OS.
>
> 	Ah, yes... Ada 83
> http://archive.adaic.com/docs/style-guide/83style/html/sty-07-07.html#7.7.4

A further link gives its incomplete definition:

    package LOW_LEVEL_IO is
       --  declarations of the possible types for DEVICE and DATA;
       --  declarations of overloaded procedures for these types:
       procedure SEND_CONTROL    (DEVICE : device_type; DATA : in out
data_type);
       procedure RECEIVE_CONTROL (DEVICE : device_type; DATA : in out
data_type);
    end;

Also, the casing is funny.