* Seeking for pointers about creating a custom GNAT runtime
@ 2012-04-25  8:44 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-04-25  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all happy Ada prose authors,

I am seeking for some pointers, basic advices, about creating a custom
runtime for GNAT.

That's basically for a kind of toy for me: a minimal bootable environment
in which I will mainly play with some assembly and run some experiment.
However, I will also need a minimal environment, like a minimal text
editor and a minimal terminal emulation, among others fundamental stuff,
and don't feel OK doing this in either assembly or C. Note that I am not
announcing a new OS in Ada, I'm not that silly, that's just planed to be a
toy for some personal experiments.

Any pointers welcome. I am not expecting anyone to do the stuff for me,
just pointers.

I find this:
http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/index.htm
While not sure that's what I need, and above all, it seems outdated (GNAT
3.15p is from the medieval times of GNAT).

* Re: Seeking for pointers about creating a custom GNAT runtime
@ 2012-04-25  9:17 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-04-25  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:44:13 +0200, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> a écrit:
> I find this:
> http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/index.htm
> While not sure that's what I need, and above all, it seems outdated
> (GNAT 3.15p is from the medieval times of GNAT).

Came to this, which seems more useful:
http://www.iuma.ulpgc.es/users/jmiranda/gnat-rts/node14.htm

There is a reference to a “Common Ada Run-Time System”, alias CARTS. Could
not find anything online on what seems to be an interesting topic. Do you
know some links for a description of this CARTS?

* Re: Seeking for pointers about creating a custom GNAT runtime
@ 2012-04-25 15:24 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2012-04-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:44:13 AM UTC+1, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:
> Hi all happy Ada prose authors,
>
> I am seeking for some pointers, basic advices, about creating a custom
> runtime for GNAT.
>
> That's basically for a kind of toy for me: a minimal bootable environment
> in which I will mainly play with some assembly and run some experiment.
> However, I will also need a minimal environment, like a minimal text
> editor and a minimal terminal emulation, among others fundamental stuff,
> and don't feel OK doing this in either assembly or C. Note that I am not
> announcing a new OS in Ada, I'm not that silly, that's just planed to be a
> toy for some personal experiments.
>
> Any pointers welcome. I am not expecting anyone to do the stuff for me,
> just pointers.

I have done this on an ARM board, see the "blink" directory of https://github.com/Lucretia/tamp, it does nothing but boot on a board. You can apply the same idea for x86, you can use the --RTS flag to point to your new custom RTS.

Luke.

* Re: Seeking for pointers about creating a custom GNAT runtime
@ 2012-04-25 15:34   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2012-04-25 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:24:34 +0200, Lucretia <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
a écrit:
> I have done this on an ARM board, see the "blink" directory of
> https://github.com/Lucretia/tamp, it does nothing but boot on a board.
> You can apply the same idea for x86, you can use the --RTS flag to point
> to your new custom RTS.

I’m currently reading and looking at it. Your README file is mentioning
something I forget to think about: ACATS tests. Indeed, I believe many
ACATS are intended to test the runtime. Thanks for that reminder.

Have a good day Lucrecia

* Re: Seeking for pointers about creating a custom GNAT runtime
@ 2012-04-26  2:57 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2012-04-26  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)