From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: NAO Robot : is Ada there too ?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:50:13 +0200
Date: 2011-06-13T17:50:13+02:00	[thread overview]

Le Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:39:43 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
<mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> a écrit:
> I doubt that Prolog can be useful for the AI deployed in a robot. There
> is not much inference it would do, more problems like path finding,
> which are not logical. Further, even considering logical problems you
> rather need
> fuzzy inference than Prolog's stuff. And certainly Prolog is absolutely
> useless for image processing and control.
I started some time ago (not yet finished) a Prolog interpreter (actually
in SML, the final implementation is planned to be Ada), in the purpose to
solve some things I don't like with typical Prolog interpreters like
SWI-Prolog (mostly with handling of infinite recursions, which I handle as
something which is interpretable, and the so called Cut, which I dropped).
As I worked on this, I can say with reasonable belief, that unification
may use weighting, instead of exact match. This would open the door to
real-world non-strictly symbolic data. Note that this would not be so much
far from fuzzy logic. Then, logic is mainly a matter of coherence, and is
not restricted to boolean algebra: any coherent system has logic. And the
one of Prolog is natural enough: it maps well the way live forms,
including humans, learns thing from their environment, “This is similar to
That, I already encountered / I already know”, and this can include any
kind of form recognition (pattern matching, by the way, is a kind of form
recognition, the abstract way). Then, any fuzzy measurements, in AI,
should probably be finally stored as a kind of symbolic data finally
(abstracted down). This would just require dynamic creation of symbols. I
honestly do not see any other way to do: complex data needs to be
abstracted down, because the system must incorporate more and more
knowledge, without growing linearly (compared to the quantity of data it
has handled). Finally, this ends to reduce complex data to symbols.

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]