From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: One other possible reason for the C predominance
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:36:33 +0100
Date: 2011-03-21T23:36:33+01:00	[thread overview]

Reading at some stuff, I've just learned somethings about C's story, which
make me think this may be one other possible reason for the C
predominance. If you read it carefully, you may notice the same story
could possibly occurs with Ada in turn in the future.

In a short summary, it makes the assumption C was not so badly designed at
first and was even an abstraction, which became more and more suited as
the time was going. Obviously, this is not the case anymore (not as much
well suited as it was), but the author witness it reached an hight level
of suitability, when the Intel's i386 came into life… just notice that
this architecture is still actual, just think about all of those Unices or
Linux application still built to target the i386 (Debian still do
nowadays). So this “language of the past” was a language of the future,
and just became a language of the past, “recently”. Yes, I know, this is
not an excuse for its flaws about typing and tasking, but this is still
worth reading to get a picture, and to see how possibly Ada could have the
same story in the future (unless virtual machines are going to shadow it
and be the next bad answer… I'm really afraid of that in the mean time).

Read this :
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch04s03.html
The last part titled “Case Study: C Considered as Thin Glue”

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.