* Quantum computing
@ 2011-03-07  1:20 Hoàng Đình Long
From: Hoàng Đình Long @ 2011-03-07  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

A friend of mine show me this:

http://www.schloerconsulting.com/quantum-computer-q-lisp-programming-language

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/c047bbf9a824425c

What will the future of Ada be in quantum world? Just a random thought
in my mind.

* Re: Quantum computing
@ 2011-03-07  6:04 ` Shark8
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shark8 @ 2011-03-07  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 6, 6:20 pm, Hoàng Đình Long <long....@gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine show me this:
>
> http://www.schloerconsulting.com/quantum-computer-q-lisp-programming-...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_...
>
> What will the future of Ada be in quantum world? Just a random thought
> in my mind.

Well, it's not the "future" of Ada but the 'now' of quantum computing
is
precisely in simulation so as to produce algorithms (as per your
link);
in this manner Ada's tasking feature could be leveraged to provide
that
needed parallelism.

* Re: Quantum computing
@ 2011-03-07  7:37 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2011-03-07  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Mar, 02:20, Hoàng Đình Long <long....@gmail.com> wrote:

> What will the future of Ada be in quantum world?

It will die and it will stay alive at the same time. ;-)

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com

* Re: Quantum computing
@ 2011-03-07  8:31 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-03-07  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:20:28 -0800 (PST), Hoïżœng ïżœïżœnh Long wrote:

> What will the future of Ada be in quantum world? Just a random thought
> in my mind.

It is difficult to say. Modern language are not well suited for non-crisp
(uncertain) computations and conversely. There are many aspects of dealing
with uncertainty which are quite different in handling from the techniques
we know. In any case, it should be a substantial shift towards declarative
approaches, which in turn will cause immense problems. Another important
issue is the balance between computations and data. As we know from the
past shift of this balance has a massive influence on the ways of
programming. Quantum computations seem to shift the balance back to more
expensive memory and less expensive (to some extent free?) computations.

It is also interesting to see if quantum computations will replace digital
computers [and not yet existing molecular ones]. In the past analogue
computers were eradicated by the digital ones. Will the history repeat
itself?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Quantum computing
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-07  8:43 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2011-03-07  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

BTW, I don't follow the subject of quantum computing. Does anybody know in
which relation is it to Turing completeness?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Quantum computing
@ 2011-03-27 23:56   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-03-27 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 07 Mar 2011 09:43:08 +0100, Dmitry A. Kazakov
<mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> a écrit:

> BTW, I don't follow the subject of quantum computing. Does anybody know
> in
> which relation is it to Turing completeness?
Well, Wikipedia says:

    A Turing machine can simulate these quantum computers, so such a
    quantum computer could never solve an undecidable problem like
    the halting problem. The existence of "standard" quantum computers
    does not disprove the Church–Turing thesis

Quoted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

There are also, specifically, Quantum Turing Machines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Turing_machine

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.