* ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-04  7:37 Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-03-04  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Out of curiosity: does something like that exist ?
Cheers
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/
NB: follow the above link for a working e-mail address

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-05  8:35 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-03-05  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.ask.com/web?q=zlib+ada&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 15:16   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-03-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 5, 9:35 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> http://www.ask.com/web?q=zlib+ada&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir

Funny way of answering, Stephe!
So well, I did not read the 1650 result pages, but the answer looks
like no...

G.

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 15:24     ` Phil Thornley
From: Phil Thornley @ 2011-03-06 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 6, 3:16 pm, Gautier write-only <gautier_niou...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> > Gautier write-only <gautier_niou...@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > Out of curiosity: does something like that exist ?
>
> On Mar 5, 9:35 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.ask.com/web?q=zlib+ada&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir
>
> Funny way of answering, Stephe!
> So well, I did not read the 1650 result pages, but the answer looks
> like no...
>
> G.

Perhaps you're not getting an English language version of Ask. Try:

http://uk.ask.com/web?q=zlib+ada&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir&ur=GB

which gives the first result as:

http://zlib-ada.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Phil

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 15:31       ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2011-03-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Thornley

Le 06/03/2011 16:24, Phil Thornley a �crit :
> which gives the first result as:
>
> http://zlib-ada.sourceforge.net/

But this is not an Ada implementation but a thick binding to C zlib.
This is what is used in AWS for example.

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 15:47       ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-03-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 6, 4:24 pm, Phil Thornley wrote:

> which gives the first result as:
>
> http://zlib-ada.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Phil, but the question was not about a "ZLib _for_ Ada", but a
"ZLib _in_ Ada"...

Cheers,
Gautier

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 17:48 ` Stephen Sangwine
From: Stephen Sangwine @ 2011-03-06 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started to write one in 2003, but the task is big, and interpreting
the Zlib compression/decompression standard (actually an RFC) is not easy.
It looks like 2007 was the last year I did anything on it, and I don't
even have a working deflator (decompression code).

Zlib_Ada came along, and that seemed good enough. Any new implementation
in Ada is going to need a lot of testing before it gets as reliable as
Zlib itself.

If anyone's interested in working on it, I could start a Sourceforge
project and make the code available, or others could join the project
and work on it.

Steve Sangwine

On 2011-03-04 07:37:45 +0000, Gautier write-only

@ 2011-03-06 20:39   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-03-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 6, 6:48 pm, Stephen Sangwine <s...@essex.ac.uk> wrote:

> I started to write one in 2003, but the task is big, and interpreting
> the Zlib compression/decompression standard (actually an RFC) is not easy.
> It looks like 2007 was the last year I did anything on it, and I don't
> even have a working deflator (decompression code).
>
> Zlib_Ada came along, and that seemed good enough. Any new implementation
> in Ada is going to need a lot of testing before it gets as reliable as
> Zlib itself.
>
> If anyone's interested in working on it, I could start a Sourceforge
> project and make the code available, or others could join the project
> and work on it.

Seems a good idea!
I might join and contribute the Ada compression / decompression part,
which is already available:
- complete inflate (decompression) code, in Zip-Ada since 1999 and in
the Generic Image Decoder since 2010
- deflate code (compression) with one approach currently, in Zip-Ada
since a few days
We need to find a good name. Zada ?... (hmmm perhaps not a good
one...)
Cheers
Gautier

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-06 23:35 ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2011-03-06 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://unzip-ada.sourceforge.net/

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-07 22:00   ` Stephen Sangwine
From: Stephen Sangwine @ 2011-03-07 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-03-06 23:35:39 +0000, Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com> said:

> http://unzip-ada.sourceforge.net/

Yes, but Zlib does more than make ZIP files! Example, Zlib is used
for compression in the PNG image format, so a PNG codec needs Zlib
without the ZIP file format.

Steve Sangwine

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-07 23:10     ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-03-07 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 7, 11:00 pm, Stephen Sangwine wrote:

> Yes, but Zlib does more than make ZIP files! Example, Zlib is used
> for compression in the PNG image format, so a PNG codec needs Zlib
> without the ZIP file format.

True, and ZLib is found at every corner: VPN connections, various
compressed formats like NetCDF, and what else ? Here is a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib#Applications .

Reversely, the Zip format supports many compression formats beside
Deflate (the one of ZLib): LZW, bzip2, LZMA... In a Zip archive each
compressed file may have a different compression format, which allows
for nice optimizations (this is what the ReZip tool is doing).

@ 2011-03-08  2:52     ` Gene
From: Gene @ 2011-03-08  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, March 7, 2011 5:00:21 PM UTC-5, Stephen Sangwine wrote:
> On 2011-03-06 23:35:39 +0000, Gene <gene.r...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > http://unzip-ada.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yes, but Zlib does more than make ZIP files! Example, Zlib is used
> for compression in the PNG image format, so a PNG codec needs Zlib
> without the ZIP file format.
>
> Steve Sang

Absolutely agree. The OP asked for "something like."  This package is much closer to something than nothing. It's nicely done.

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-09  6:31     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2011-03-09  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier write-only <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> writes:

>> Gautier write-only <gautier_niou...@hotmail.com> writes:
>> > Out of curiosity: does something like that exist ?
>
> On Mar 5, 9:35 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...@stephe-leake.org>
> wrote:
>> http://www.ask.com/web?q=zlib+ada&search=&qsrc=0&o=0&l=dir
>
> Funny way of answering, Stephe!

The point is that web search is easy, and you should use it first before
asking here.

If you did do so, and did not find anything, that is useful information,
so saying that in your post is important.

> So well, I did not read the 1650 result pages, but the answer looks
> like no...

The first link is ZLib For Ada. I see from later posts that you
actually meant "implemented in Ada", so that link is not what you are
looking for. I don't think this was clear from your post.

A little more info in your post would have been extremely helpful, and
gotten a more useful reply.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ZLib in Ada ?
@ 2011-03-27 23:46   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-03-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:48:51 +0100, Stephen Sangwine <sjs@essex.ac.uk> a
écrit:

> I started to write one in 2003, but the task is big, and interpreting
> the Zlib compression/decompression standard (actually an RFC) is not
> easy.
I began one too some months ago, but will restart from the ground up, as I
was not pleased with the design.
Side note: I felt the deflate RFC was not very clear to read.

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.