From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: GNAT version for Ada training?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:29:15 +0100
Date: 2011-02-08T06:29:15+01:00	[thread overview]

Le Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:28:17 +0100, Randy Brukardt <randy@rrsoftware.com>
a écrit:
> Windows tries hard to discourage installation of any program without
> administrator permissions, especially on Windows XP and more recent. Any
> program that needs to modify the registry is going to have problems -
There are plenty of useful things which can already be done with
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Writing to this one, does not requires administrative
rights.

> and
> "good" Windows programs will write various things into the registry.
The quotes was welcome, as as-the time goes, more people enjoy
configuration in files instead of the registry: drop-and-run, the same it
is possible with MacOS. The application reside in its own directory, and
mostly write only there, optionally in Application Data, except the
documents it generates. If better OS integration is needed, a *.reg file
to be merged in the registry may be provided as an option. Some provide
two options: download classic installer or download zip archive and
perform optional integration from withing the application (some provide a
dialog to add file association or misc handlers) or manually and
optionally.

> I've tried to make this for for Janus/Ada, and it works OK Windows XP if
> you
> chose restrictive settings (install for current user only, don't install
> Claw).
That's legitimate there. If one want to install for all user, not
surprising administrative account will be required. For single user
installation, this should not.

> But I cannot make the installer work on Windows 7 that way, and it
> isn't worth the fight. So the next version of the installer is going to
> be
> administrator only (presuming I can figure out how to get the manifest
> set
> properly).
Do not have access to a Windows 7, so I don't know.

> Note that all Windows installers ought to register an uninstaller with
> Windows (requiring registry writes). And a program like AdaGIDE probably
> will want to register extensions like .Ada as well -- that definitely
> requires registry writing only in administrator mode.
No, really (unless I missed something), you can register an uninstaller
and file extensions, from a user account. MinGW do that for its
uninstaller.

I may need to say if I avoid using the admin account, this is to disable
applications to do dangerous things (I believe I am not the only one). And
when something wants to do administrative things while its purpose does
not seems to requires so much high level privileged, I feel alarmed (why
would someone need a knife to go to pick its children at school, looks
suspect).

May be this would be better to at least display a message to tell the user
why this need admin account when there is really no other way.

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.

“I am fluent in ASCII” [Warren 2010]