* Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-07 19:53 R Tyler Croy
From: R Tyler Croy @ 2010-12-07 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went ahead and
created one:
    <http://identi.ca/group/ada>

For the uninitiated, Identi.ca is a microblogging service not too dissimilar
from Twitter, but far more heavily populated with hackers :)

- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------
  GitHub: http://github.com/rtyler
 Twitter: http://twitter.com/agentdero

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-08  9:14 ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-12-08  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-12-07 20:53, R Tyler Croy wrote:

> I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went ahead and
> created one:
>      <http://identi.ca/group/ada>
>
> For the uninitiated, Identi.ca is a microblogging service not too dissimilar
> from Twitter, but far more heavily populated with hackers :)

Great idea!

I've signed up and joined. I've no idea how this thing works, but sooner
or later I'm bound to figure it out.

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-09  7:43 ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2010-12-09  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 07/12/2010 20:53, R Tyler Croy a �crit :

> I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went ahead and
> created one:
>     <http://identi.ca/group/ada>

There is http://identi.ca/adafrance/ ;-)

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)
Adalog a d�m�nag� / Adalog has moved:
Tel: +33 1 45 29 21 52, Fax: +33 1 45 29 25 00

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-09  7:55   ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-12-09  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-12-09 08:43, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Le 07/12/2010 20:53, R Tyler Croy a �crit :
>>
>> I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went ahead and
>> created one:
>>      <http://identi.ca/group/ada>
>>
> There is http://identi.ca/adafrance/ ;-)

Yes, but it is in french!  :o)

Also http://ada-dk.org/?page=news&news_id=203

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-09  8:58 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2010-12-09  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 7, 8:53 pm, R Tyler Croy <ty...@linux.com> wrote:

> I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went ahead and
> created one:
>     <http://identi.ca/group/ada>
>
> For the uninitiated, Identi.ca is a microblogging service not too dissimilar
> from Twitter, but far more heavily populated with hackers :)

Considering a small size of the Ada community, creating too many
groups, forums, fan pages and whatnot like this will inevitably lead
to dispersing the effort. I'm not sure if the community can afford
this.

"Not too dissimilar from Twitter" begs the question: what is the added
value of it?

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-09  9:24   ` Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2010-12-09  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-12-09 09:58, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> Considering a small size of the Ada community, creating too many
> groups, forums, fan pages and whatnot like this will inevitably lead
> to dispersing the effort. I'm not sure if the community can afford
> this.

The community is currently very small, compared to other languages. I
think it is safe to say that we need all the visibily we can get.

The Ada community generates some interesting things, but few people
outside the Ada community is aware of this.

I do not generate a lot of Ada code (yet!), but I do spend a bit of time
every day trying to attract attention to the work done by people like
you Maciej.

This is just another tool to help with that effort.

> "Not too dissimilar from Twitter" begs the question: what is the added
> value of it?

I think the identi.ca crowd is more technically oriented, so the
audience is probably more inclined to check out a blurb about Ada.

Obviously, the more people who subscribe to the Ada group, the more
alive and vibrant it will appear.

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http:ada-dk.org
IRC nick: ThomasLocke

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-09 15:07     ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2010-12-09 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 9, 10:24 am, Thomas Løcke <t...@ada-dk.org> wrote:

> The community is currently very small, compared to other languages. I
> think it is safe to say that we need all the visibily we can get.

Right, there is some truth in it.

> I think the identi.ca crowd is more technically oriented, so the
> audience is probably more inclined to check out a blurb about Ada.

... and probably Ada will be more readily recognized as a technology,
not as a dental association. :-)

OK, this is convincing. :-)

--

@ 2010-12-10 22:01   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2010-12-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/09/2010 02:58 AM, Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> Considering a small size of the Ada community, creating too many
> groups, forums, fan pages and whatnot like this will inevitably lead
> to dispersing the effort. I'm not sure if the community can afford
> this.

(I know your concern has diminished, but I wanted to make a point anyway :-)

I think effort (and people) are dispersed only when one totally abandons
one "community" to join another. comp.lang.ada is probably the
longest-serving, and probably strongest, Ada community on the internet.
Sure, there's been turnover and participation waxes and wanes, but it
does seem to be the home port, so to speak.

Taking Ada knowledge and advocacy to other venues in no way requires the
dilution of the comp.lang.ada community.  Overall it can increase the
size of the community, some participants of which may end up here either
casually or actively.

And instead of there being just a single home port for Ada, there can be
a network of Ada havens that leverage one another.

For instance, I'm the creator and moderator of the Ada sub-reddit
(http://www.reddit.com/r/ada). I regularly read comp.lang.ada for links
to interesting articles and ANNOUNCEments of newly available products
and releases, and I also monitor Thomas Locke's Ada Denmark site
(http://ada-dk.org) for material. (Plus I subscribe to various mailing
lists and just stumble across things from time to time.) And Reddit can
be a source of material that I uncover, and those who monitor it can
then pass that material on to others.

Each of us has our own set of readers and subscribers, and passing along
information from one to another leverages network effects to get it to
those who may not have the time to fish for information across the Web,
or who are only dabbling in Ada to get a feel for it.

Our good buddy R. Tyler Croy recently wrote a blog post
(http://unethicalblogger.com/posts/2010/12/ada_surely_you_jest_mr_pythonman)
about his experiences learning Ada and posted it in the general
programming forum on Reddit, where it did very well, garnering a lot of
comments, discussion, and interest. I leveraged off his submission with
a brief plug for the Ada sub-reddit, and in one day the number of
subscriptions increased 10%, that was the largest one-day, or even one
*week*, increase ever. It's hardly likely that there was just simply a
bunch of Ada programmers on Reddit, who didn't know about the Ada
sub-reddit, but who had now suddenly become aware that there was
someplace associated with one of their hangouts to which they could
join. No, I expect most of those new subscriptions were individuals who
were intrigued by the discussion, and have opted to now keep on eye on
what's up with Ada.  Some of these may, like Tyler, become an active
participant in the community.

The Ada group on identica, then, is just another means of potentially
expanding that community, providing another avenue for advocacy to those
who might not have had any contact up till now with any of the
established Ada points of presence on the internet.

Marc A. Criley

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2010-12-10 22:51     ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2010-12-10 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 10, 11:01 pm, "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOS...@mckae.com> wrote:

> (I know your concern has diminished, but I wanted to make a point anyway :-)

[...]

Thank you for sharing these thoughts, they are convincing.

--

@ 2011-01-01 17:01   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-01-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:58:14 +0100, Maciej Sobczak
<see.my.homepage@gmail.com> a écrit:

> On Dec 7, 8:53 pm, R Tyler Croy <ty...@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> I was bummed when I didn't find an Ada group on Identi.ca so I went
>> ahead and
>> created one:
>>     <http://identi.ca/group/ada>
>>
>> For the uninitiated, Identi.ca is a microblogging service not too
>> dissimilar
>> from Twitter, but far more heavily populated with hackers :)
>
> Considering a small size of the Ada community, creating too many
> groups, forums, fan pages and whatnot like this will inevitably lead
> to dispersing the effort. I'm not sure if the community can afford
> this.
>
> "Not too dissimilar from Twitter" begs the question: what is the added
> value of it?
>
> --
> Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

May be evolution. Evolution requires multiple opened branches. Although
there is an Ada standard, there is no standard Ada writer, no standard Ada
feeling, and so on; and that is for the best (I believe).

--
Si les chats miaulent et font autant de vocalises bizarres, c’est pas pour
les chiens.

“I am fluent in ASCII” [Warren 2010]

* Re: Ada group on identica
@ 2011-01-01 17:04       ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-01-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:07:07 +0100, Maciej Sobczak
<see.my.homepage@gmail.com> a écrit:
> ... and probably Ada will be more readily recognized as a technology,
> not as a dental association. :-)
Or as a car rental provider (france).