From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Strategies with SPARK which does not support exceptions
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:33:29 +0200
Date: 2010-06-17T17:33:29+02:00	[thread overview]

Hello,

(This topic will probably not be the most exiting topic to some people).

When I use SPARK, or even when I don't use SPARK while I still have SPARK
design style in mind (even with Pascal which I still use), I have like any
one else, to forget about exceptions.

The only one thing which seems simple and clean enough I could figure, is
to use a Boolean variable, named “OK”, and a sequence of “if OK then”
statements. That is, execution of one sequence of statements, which set OK
to False is something goes wrong, and execute clean-up statements by the
way. Then a next sequence of statements wrapped in a “if OK then” which do
the same, and so on with next statements groups which are also wrapped in
a “if OK then” (as many as needed).

Although this seems clean and maintainable enough to me so far, I was
still wondering how other people deal with this (and may be by the way, I
may have comment about why my way could be bad in some way).

Note: a similar strategy may also obviously applies to fulfill the “only
one single exit point” requirement.

So, let us talk and comment about design strategies in this area (if
someones wish to).