From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Installing MinGW and testing it out I have a problem.
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 04:07:42 +0200
Date: 2010-05-21T04:07:42+02:00	[thread overview]

Le Fri, 21 May 2010 02:27:43 +0200, Harry Tucker
<harry.tucker@sbcglobal.net> a écrit:
> Do you know how I
> can determine if I have the wrong compiler or need to make an entry in
> my registry?
I've just seek for informations at the source.

First, GNAT claims to not make use of the registry
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn_unw/Using-GNAT-on-Windows.html says
> No components of the GNAT toolset use any entries in the Windows
> registry. The only entries that can be created are file associations
> and PATH settings, provided the user has chosen to create them at
> installation time, as well as some minimal book-keeping information
> needed to correctly uninstall or integrate different GNAT products.
While I have a serious doubt about it... (or may be this was with older
versions)

Then, the registry key used by GCC, when it use it, is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Free Software Foundation\key
where “key” is the GCC version number.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html says
> --disable-win32-registry
>
> The --enable-win32-registry option enables Microsoft Windows-hosted
> GCC to look up installations paths in the registry using the
> following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Free Software Foundation\key
>
> key defaults to GCC version number, and can be overridden by the
> --enable-win32-registry=key option. Vendors and distributors who use
> custom installers are encouraged to provide a different key, perhaps
> one comprised of vendor name and GCC version number, to avoid
> conflict with existing installations. This feature is enabled by
> default, and can be disabled by --disable-win32-registry option.
> This option has no effect on the other hosts.

Can you see something meaningful there ?

--enable-win32-registry is the default option, as far as I remember. You
can check if --disable-win32-registry or --enable-win32-registry was given
as a build option, with this command:
gcc -v
with a minus “v”. This displays configuration options used to build GCC.

If this does not help, will seek for other hypotheses ;)

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.