From: "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Ada and Exuberant CTags
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 05:23:00 +0200
Date: 2011-10-12T05:23:00+02:00	[thread overview]

Le Wed, 12 Oct 2011 05:07:21 +0200, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
<yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> a écrit:

> What specification or reference did you used for Ada tag kinds code ?
As a quick overview. I understood you used something originally made for
VIM:
http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/tags/ctags-ada-mode-4.3.11/ada.c?revision=977&view=markup
This use the exact same tag kinds as yours

But the reference says:
http://ctags.sourceforge.net/FORMAT
> Note that these are mostly for C and C++.  Whentags programs are written
> for other languages,this list should be extended to include the used
> field names.

*should be extended* This is very important to underline. Here, the ctags
for Ada used by VIM happily overwrite every thing. They did not follow the
CTags reference.

Interestingly, I could find some one else, who tried to follow the CTags
standard, and cleanly mapped Ada semantic to these, without any dangerous
overwriting:
http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Ada/comp.lang.ada/2004-08/0108.html
To come back to a previous example, he, used 'f' for function and
procedure.

That's a mess, there seems to be no respect for standard at all. Famous
people don't follow the standard, and the one who followed the standard,
is an unknown guy and has probably no influence.

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]