* Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-02  8:07 Thomas Løcke
From: Thomas Løcke @ 2011-09-02  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/

The September 2011 update of the Transparent Language Popularity Index
shows Ada sitting at a comfortable 0.999% in the "any" category, and a
whooping 1.523% in the "general-purpose" category, meaning we've finally
managed to edge our way past Pascal. YAY!

To help further boosting Ada up the charts, please consider joining the
identi.ca Ada group:

     http://identi.ca/group/ada

If you microblog about your work/projects/articles there, it will be
discovered by both search engines and other parties interested in Ada,
who can then in turn re-blog and link to your content.

It does help making Ada more visible, which is a good thing. Content
that nobody links to is dead in the eyes of the search engines. The more
links, the more vibrant and alive Ada will seem.

:o)

--
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org
Web: http//:ada-dk.org
http://identi.ca/thomaslocke

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-02 11:57 ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-09-02 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:07:47 +0200, Thomas Løcke <tl@ada-dk.org> a écrit:
> It does help making Ada more visible, which is a good thing. Content
> that nobody links to is dead in the eyes of the search engines. The more
> links, the more vibrant and alive Ada will seem.
This also may help: make contextualized links with explicit anchor texts.
This is a common advice in web site SEO (Search Engine Optimization),
which is even more important with Ada, due to its numerous homonyms every
way in all countries. That is, as much as possible, people should add
terms such as “programming”, “language”, “application”, and so on, instead
of “Ada” alone, in anchor texts of links pointing to Ada resources.

Was my two cents, sorry for not more [face going red].

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-20 23:23 ` George
From: George @ 2011-09-20 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:07:47 +0200 schrieb Thomas Løcke:

> http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
>
> The September 2011 update of the Transparent Language Popularity Index
> shows Ada sitting at a comfortable 0.999% in the "any" category, and a
> whooping 1.523% in the "general-purpose" category, meaning we've finally
> managed to edge our way past Pascal. YAY!

Can you tell me what the advantges of using Ada are compared to other
modern languages like Java and C#?

Are there any major applications (like Google what's mainly written in
Python) that were written in Ada recently?

Kind regards

George

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-21  4:34   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2011-09-21  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Sep., 01:23, George <mail2geo...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Can you tell me what the advantges of using Ada are compared to other
> modern languages like Java and C#?
>
> Are there any major applications (like Google what's mainly written in
> Python) that were written in Ada recently?

What do you deem a major application? Google, Facebook - or Air
Traffic Control, satellites, Medical Software etc.?
See:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-21  7:39   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2011-09-21  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21.09.11 01:23, George wrote:
> Am Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:07:47 +0200 schrieb Thomas Løcke:
>
>> http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> The September 2011 update of the Transparent Language Popularity Index
>> shows Ada sitting at a comfortable 0.999% in the "any" category, and a
>> whooping 1.523% in the "general-purpose" category, meaning we've finally
>> managed to edge our way past Pascal. YAY!
>>
> Can you tell me what the advantges of using Ada are compared to other
> modern languages like Java and C#?

A bit off-topic: all languages aren't really modern in that they
show new kinds of programming expressions or provide for new ways
of programming multicore hardware easily etc.
Java and C# are statistically more fashionable, though, which
might be important insofar as it is wise to dress according to
the current trend.

Note also that that Google is not only publicly favoring the languages
Python, Java, JavaScript, and Go (and C for kernels, C++ only for
system/network software IIUC), they also develop two of these
languages, Python and Go, having hired their chief architects,
They have built their flavor of virtual machine for "Mobile Phone Java".
Go is pretty much an iteration of languages developed
with the Plan 9 project at Bell labs during the 1990s.

Advantages of languages are typically measured by project leads'
preferences, hence it is not usually important to compare technical
qualities at any level of detail.

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-21  9:26   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2011-09-21  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 sep, 01:23, George wrote:

> Can you tell me what the advantges of using Ada are compared to other
> modern languages like Java and C#?

OTOH
1. Ada is multiplatform, so you can compile to JVM, .Net but also
native platforms
2. Performance: e.g. for number-crunching you can get an Ada program
compiled to native Win32 running 10x faster than a C# equivalent
3. With .NET (perhaps also Java ?), you need to use reference types
most of the time; with Ada's type system you can use value types most
of the time
4. Ada is oriented at catching the most possible bugs at compile-time,
through its syntax and its strong type system; so you have many bugs
that don't flow into run-time problems. Result is that you can go much
earlier and much more relaxed out of the office :-)

Cheers
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Ada is on the rise!
@ 2011-09-22  9:09     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2011-09-22  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Advantages of languages are typically measured by project leads'
> preferences, hence it is not usually important to compare technical
> qualities at any level of detail.

That's where Ada can shine.  Unlike lesser languages, Ada has a
corporate bullshit generator! :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.
The resource prioritizes the cascading skills, whereas the enablers