* [Announcement] MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-15 19:31 Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-09-15 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I created a first test version of an MacPorts [1] / Mac OS X version of
gnat. Please donwload here to test:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=291480

The aim of MacPorts is portabiltiy between Mac OS X and the rest of  the
Unix word. Here it differerce to MacAda - which aims for perfect OS X
integration.

Have fun and Regards

Martin

[1] http://www.macports.org/

--
Martin Krischik

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-15 20:15 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2008-09-15 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 15, 12:31 pm, "Martin Krischik"
<krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created a first test version of an MacPorts [1] / Mac OS X version of
> gnat. Please donwload here to test:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_i...
>
> The aim of MacPorts is portabiltiy between Mac OS X and the rest of  the
> Unix word. Here it differerce to MacAda - which aims for perfect OS X
> integration.
>
> Have fun and Regards
>
> Martin
>
> [1]http://www.macports.org/
>
> --
> Martin Krischik

Will this compiler work as (1) Ada 2005 on (2) PPC running (3) OS X
10.5?

I committed to supporting the PLplot bindings on both Ada 95 and Ada
2005, and I have about the last PPC Powerbook (laptop) sold by Apple
so I'm not eager to buy a new computer just to get a compiler that
runs on Intel. However, there has been no Ada 2005 compiler that runs
under OS X 10.5 on PPC architecture. (The MacAda group has not been
helpful in this regard.) As a result, I haven't been able to upgrade
to 10.5.

Does your build support 10.5 on PPC, or do you know of other builds
that will?

Jerry

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-15 22:45   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2008-09-15 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net> writes:

> However, there has been no Ada 2005 compiler that runs under OS X 10.5
> on PPC architecture. (The MacAda group has not been helpful in this
> regard.) As a result, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.

Do you think there's any chance that the GNAT/GPL 2007 compiler I built
for Tiger/PPC would run on Leopard? It uses static libraries, maybe
there's a chance .. I moved to Intel Mac after that, so never upgrated
the Powerbook to Leopard.

http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MacOS-GPL

--S

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-16  4:14     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2008-09-16  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 15, 3:45 pm, Simon Wright <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
> > However, there has been no Ada 2005 compiler that runs under OS X 10.5
> > on PPC architecture. (The MacAda group has not been helpful in this
> > regard.) As a result, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.
>
> Do you think there's any chance that the GNAT/GPL 2007 compiler I built
> for Tiger/PPC would run on Leopard? It uses static libraries, maybe
> there's a chance .. I moved to Intel Mac after that, so never upgrated
> the Powerbook to Leopard.
>
> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MacOS-GPL
>
> --S

Sounds like I should give it a try. I'll try to get 10.5 installed on
a spare disk in a day or two and see what happens.

Jerry

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-16  5:52   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-09-16  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.09.2008, 22:15 Uhr, schrieb Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>:

> On Sep 15, 12:31 pm, "Martin Krischik"
> <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I created a first test version of an MacPorts [1] / Mac OS X version of
>>
>> gnat. Please donwload here to test:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_i...
>>
>> The aim of MacPorts is portabiltiy between Mac OS X and the rest of
>>  the
>> Unix word. Here it differerce to MacAda - which aims for perfect OS X
>> integration.
>>
>> Have fun and Regards
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [1]http://www.macports.org/
>>
>> --
>> Martin Krischik
>
> Will this compiler work as (1) Ada 2005 on (2) PPC running (3) OS X
> 10.5?

MacPorts is a source based distribution - the binary package is just a
convinience. So yes ist might work.

Haven said that: You need an older working compiler to create the up to
date version. So a litte tweeking will be neded.

Martin

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-19  9:44     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2008-09-19  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 15, 3:45 pm, Simon Wright <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
> > However, there has been no Ada 2005 compiler that runs under OS X 10.5
> > on PPC architecture. (The MacAda group has not been helpful in this
> > regard.) As a result, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.
>
> Do you think there's any chance that the GNAT/GPL 2007 compiler I built
> for Tiger/PPC would run on Leopard? It uses static libraries, maybe
> there's a chance .. I moved to Intel Mac after that, so never upgrated
> the Powerbook to Leopard.
>
> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MacOS-GPL
>
> --S

The link you provided pretty much goes to a dead end, but I think I
found the right link.

I installed OS X 10.5.4 on a spare disk. I downloaded from
sourceforuge the 2007-tiger-ppc compiler dated January 12, 2008 and
put it in /opt. I tried to compile a hello world and failed. Here is
what happened:

jb$ /opt/gnat-gpl-2007/bin/gnatmake /Volumes/HD0/hello.adb
gcc -c -I/Volumes/HD0/ -I- /Volumes/HD0/hello.adb
gnatbind -x hello.ali
gnatlink hello.ali
can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs
system__standard_library__constraint_error_def:G(0,16)=B(0,17)=xssystem__standard_library__exception_data:
in /opt/gnat-gpl-2007/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/4.1.3/adalib/
libgnat.a(s-stalib.o)

There are 10 more lines that start with "can't find atom."

Any idea on what to do next? I'm going to be also bothering the macada
list about this, which raises the question, If I succeed in getting a
compiler somehow, will the Xcode plugin from macada still work if I
don't use a macada compiler?

Jerry

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-19 10:18     ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2008-09-19 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 15, 10:52 pm, "Martin Krischik"
<krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Am 15.09.2008, 22:15 Uhr, schrieb Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net>:
>

> > On Sep 15, 12:31 pm, "Martin Krischik"
> > <krisc...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I created a first test version of an MacPorts [1] / Mac OS X version of
> >>
> >> gnat. Please donwload here to test:
>
> >>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_i...
>
> >> The aim of MacPorts is portabiltiy between Mac OS X and the rest of
> >>  the
> >> Unix word. Here it differerce to MacAda - which aims for perfect OS X
> >> integration.
>
> >> Have fun and Regards
>
> >> Martin
>
> >> [1]http://www.macports.org/
>
> >> --
> >> Martin Krischik
>
> > Will this compiler work as (1) Ada 2005 on (2) PPC running (3) OS X
> > 10.5?
>
> MacPorts is a source based distribution - the binary package is just a
> convinience. So yes ist might work.
>
> Haven said that: You need an older working compiler to create the up to
> date version. So a litte tweeking will be neded.
>
> Martin
>
> --

I don't see the compiler yet in MacPorts--I suppose that is why you
said "test version."

I _think_ that given any working compiler, it is probably
straightforward to install the Xcode plugin for "perfect OS X
integration."

I'm willing to to a little tweaking but might have to ask stupid
questions.

How would you incorporate this into MacPorts since it requires another
working Ada installation? (I do have a compiler that works under
10.4.11 on PPC.) Recall that I need Ada 2005 running on PPC hardware,
and 10.5.x (Leopard) OS X.

Jerry

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-19 16:00       ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-09-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry schrieb:

> How would you incorporate this into MacPorts since it requires another
> working Ada installation? (I do have a compiler that works under
> 10.4.11 on PPC.) Recall that I need Ada 2005 running on PPC hardware,
> and 10.5.x (Leopard) OS X.

By going to gnuada.sf.net - I prepared a disk image with a working
compiler in the download area [1] (intel only .-( ) and the Portfile
inside Subversion [2]. The Portfile is CPU independed as it downloads
the source files and compiles them for you.

So, how would I go about it?

1) get the Portfile from subversion.
2) use the old 10.4.11 compiler to create a new 10.4.11 compiler.
3) pack the compiler into a dmg (port dmg gcc43)
4) install the dmg on the 10.5.5 system
5) use the new 10.4.11 compiler to create a 10.5.5 compiler.
6) create a dmg and upload it to gnuada.sf.net for the good of all

You might also need:

0) join the gnuada.sf.net team.

As for MacPorts - I created a ticket to have the build file updated [3].
But als allways with upstream patches - they move slowly...

Martin

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12974&package_id=291480
[2] http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/MacPorts
[3] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16549

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-28 16:24       ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2008-09-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 19, 10:44 am, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 3:45 pm, Simon Wright <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:

Apologies for delay in replying. My ISP has "problems propagating
News".

> > Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
> > > However, there has been no Ada 2005 compiler that runs under OS X 10.5
> > > on PPC architecture. (The MacAda group has not been helpful in this
> > > regard.) As a result, I haven't been able to upgrade to 10.5.
>
> > Do you think there's any chance that the GNAT/GPL 2007 compiler I built
> > for Tiger/PPC would run on Leopard? It uses static libraries, maybe
> > there's a chance .. I moved to Intel Mac after that, so never upgrated
> > the Powerbook to Leopard.
>
> >http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MacOS-GPL
>
> > --S
>
> The link you provided pretty much goes to a dead end, but I think I
> found the right link.

Sorry about that. It looks as though someone else on the team is
upgrading the wiki ...

> I installed OS X 10.5.4 on a spare disk. I downloaded from
> sourceforuge the 2007-tiger-ppc compiler dated January 12, 2008 and
> put it in /opt. I tried to compile a hello world and failed. Here is
> what happened:
> There are 10 more lines that start with "can't find atom."
>
> Any idea on what to do next? I'm going to be also bothering the macada
> list about this, which raises the question, If I succeed in getting a
> compiler somehow, will the Xcode plugin from macada still work if I
> don't use a macada compiler?

Sorry, can't help (looks as though this compiler is broken for 10.5, &
I don't use Xcode).

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-30  6:12         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-09-30  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

sjw schrieb:

>> The link you provided pretty much goes to a dead end, but I think I
>> found the right link.
>
> Sorry about that. It looks as though someone else on the team is
> upgrading the wiki ...

No, I think there is something very strange going on. Probably SourForce
has deleted our pages.

I fear I have to upload a backup copy. Or anybody else on the team - the
backup copy is found under:

http://gnuada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/pmwiki/

Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-30 18:45         ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-09-30 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-09-30 19:54           ` sjw
From: sjw @ 2008-09-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 30, 7:45 pm, Martin Krischik <krisc...@me.com> wrote:

> BTW: MediaWikis store file upload on persist - so those are affected as
> well. A disaster - but well within the terms of service :-( .

I think I saw that SF are introducing MediaWiki as a
supported app? so you just have to supply the pages?
(mind you, if it's as slow as their current supported
project wiki technology I'm not sure that's a good
idea. What does SF run on? Eee?)

* Re: MacPorts / Mac OS X Release for GCC 4.3.2
@ 2008-10-01  6:06             ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2008-10-01  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

sjw schrieb:
> On Sep 30, 7:45 pm, Martin Krischik <krisc...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW: MediaWikis store file upload on persist - so those are affected as
>> well. A disaster - but well within the terms of service :-( .
>
> I think I saw that SF are introducing MediaWiki as a
> supported app? so you just have to supply the pages?
> (mind you, if it's as slow as their current supported
> project wiki technology I'm not sure that's a good
> idea. What does SF run on? Eee?)

Checking yesterday I saw that persist is not a symlink in the projects
home directory - so with the popper rsync option it should be possible
to download the whole Wiki, set up everything as needed and upload it again.

But then: rsync already messed up the gnuada home directory :-(. I
really miss shell access to fix thinks.

Martin

--

@ 2008-10-09  6:17         ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2008-10-09  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 28, 9:24 am, sjw <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 10:44 am, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 15, 3:45 pm, Simon Wright <simon.j.wri...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies for delay in replying. My ISP has "problems propagating
> News".

> > > Do you think there's any chance that the GNAT/GPL 2007 compiler I built
> > > for Tiger/PPC would run on Leopard? It uses static libraries, maybe
> > > there's a chance .. I moved to Intel Mac after that, so never upgrated
> > > the Powerbook to Leopard.
>
> > >http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MacOS-GPL
>
> > > --S
>
> > The link you provided pretty much goes to a dead end, but I think I
> > found the right link.
>
> Sorry about that. It looks as though someone else on the team is
> upgrading the wiki ...
>

> > I installed OS X 10.5.4 on a spare disk. I downloaded from
> > sourceforuge the 2007-tiger-ppc compiler dated January 12, 2008 and
> > put it in /opt. I tried to compile a hello world and failed. Here is
> > what happened:
> > There are 10 more lines that start with "can't find atom."
>
> > Any idea on what to do next? I'm going to be also bothering the macada
> > list about this, which raises the question, If I succeed in getting a
> > compiler somehow, will the Xcode plugin from macada still work if I
> > don't use a macada compiler?
>
> Sorry, can't help (looks as though this compiler is broken for 10.5, &
> I don't use Xcode).

Sorry for the late reply.

FWIW, the results that I obtained (several instances of "can't find
atom") were not by way of Xcode--just a command line gnatmake.

Jerry