* jgnat -
@ 2010-03-15 18:55 RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com
From: RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com @ 2010-03-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

All

Looking for ideas. I am experimenting with Jgnat - ada targeting the
jre. The goal is to experiment with GUI using Java Swing/Awt from Ada.
Also will be trying to access some libraries developed in java.

Looking for some ideas on how to organize such a project:

- First for the entire JRE - I am not sure if I will need bindings to
the entire library - probably only the high level interfaces. Should I
plan on generating bindings for all of JRE and genering an ali for
them?

Any pointers appreciated. Cheers, srini

* Re: jgnat -
@ 2010-03-16 23:01 ` Steffen Huber
From: Steffen Huber @ 2010-03-16 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com write:
> All
>
> Looking for ideas. I am experimenting with Jgnat - ada targeting the
> jre. The goal is to experiment with GUI using Java Swing/Awt from Ada.
> Also will be trying to access some libraries developed in java.

I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.

I think it is a real shame that no completely integrated package
is available for this certainly interesting technology. It is no
wonder that most people just use another language.

> Looking for some ideas on how to organize such a project:
>
> - First for the entire JRE - I am not sure if I will need bindings to
> the entire library - probably only the high level interfaces. Should I
> plan on generating bindings for all of JRE and genering an ali for
> them?

Just follow the docs. Create the ads files for the whole Java runtime.
When you compile your first Ada program using Swing, it is likely that
you encounter a compile error somehwere in java.net.xxx because of a
duplicate symbol (at least when you use the Java 1.6.0_1x runtime),
but this is easily fixed.

Here is a complete example which just opens a Swing JFrame from
Ada:

with java; use java;
with javax.swing; use javax.swing;
with javax.swing.JFrame; use javax.swing.JFrame;
with java.lang; use java.lang;
with java.lang.String; use java.lang.String;

procedure SimpleFrame is
   frame : JFrame.Ref := null;
begin
   frame := JFrame.New_JFrame;
   frame.setTitle(+"Hello World - a Swing Frame from Ada!");
   frame.pack;
   frame.setSize(320,200);
   frame.setVisible(true);
end SimpleFrame;

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber
hubersn Software - http://www.hubersn-software.com/

* Re: jgnat -
@ 2010-03-17  7:17   ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2010-03-17  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:01:42 +0100, Steffen Huber <spam@huber-net.de>
wrote:
> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
> a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
> for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
> UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
> expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.
>
> I think it is a real shame that no completely integrated package
> is available for this certainly interesting technology. It is no
> wonder that most people just use another language.

In unrelated news, there's no Visual Studio 2008 integration (or, heavens
forbid, VS2010) for GNAT.Net, and last time I tried, it didn't work with
VS2005 either.
Good times.

Albrecht

* Re: jgnat -
@ 2010-03-17 15:13   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2010-03-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Mrz., 00:01, Steffen Huber <s...@huber-net.de> wrote:

> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
> a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
> for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
> UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
> expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.

On which operating system did you try GPS ?
Perhaps it is OS-related.
On (a certain) Linux (distro) I lost patience; on Windows XP or Vista
it is doing fine...
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/
NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the following web site:
http://www.fechtenafz.ethz.ch/wm_email.htm

* Re: jgnat -
@ 2010-03-17 15:24 ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2010-03-17 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Mrz., 19:55, "RasikaSriniva...@g... wrote:

> Looking for ideas. I am experimenting with Jgnat - ada targeting the
> jre. The goal is to experiment with GUI using Java Swing/Awt from Ada.
> Also will be trying to access some libraries developed in java.

Some questions on my turn.
Are you using (or trying to use) jgnat 1.1p ? Or is there a later
version around ?
I'd be interested by any micro-applet code (embedded in a web page)
with a button and some dummy text appearing in a html box when the
button is pressed.
Any sample, anyone ?
It would be for a funny project (a random text generator), which
exists already "offline".
Cheers

@ 2010-03-17 16:45     ` Steffen Huber
From: Steffen Huber @ 2010-03-17 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gautier write-only wrote:
> On 17 Mrz., 00:01, Steffen Huber <s...@huber-net.de> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
>> a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
>> for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
>> UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
>> expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.
>
> On which operating system did you try GPS ?

Windows. It crashed several times. Project management is hideous.
The dialogues are horrible. I even failed to simply connect to my
local CVS server.

The UI looks very much non-Windows and makes Swing Windows L&F look
nearly pixel-perfect.

I am sure that, once you fought your way through and got used to
the many niggles, it is a powerful IDE well-suited for Ada
development. But I'm afraid it is just not the right IDE for me.

In contrast, GNATbench for Eclipse works quite smoothly. The
Eclipse CVS plugin works fine, and the Eclipse UI does not look
like an Alien on Windows.

Steffen

--

@ 2010-03-17 18:52     ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2010-03-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albrecht K�fer wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:01:42 +0100, Steffen Huber <spam@huber-net.de>
> wrote:
>> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
>> a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
>> for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
>> UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
>> expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.
>>
>> I think it is a real shame that no completely integrated package
>> is available for this certainly interesting technology. It is no
>> wonder that most people just use another language.
>
> In unrelated news, there's no Visual Studio 2008 integration (or, heavens
> forbid, VS2010) for GNAT.Net, and last time I tried, it didn't work with
> VS2005 either.
> Good times.
>

> Albrecht

Integration with VS 2005 should work. I tested it on my machine and I
can even create PDA (compact framework) applications with GNAT GPL 2009
for .Net. I remember that quite some time ago there was a thread on the
problems of integrating GNAT GPL 2008 in Visual Studio. I believe the
problem was solved in the registry.

BTW, You can try my experimental project DartScore
on http://www.xs4all.nl/~veenker/links.html. It has a VS 2005 project
which demonstrates the use of C# combined with Ada.

Rob

* Re: jgnat -
@ 2010-03-18  8:58       ` Albrecht Käfer
From: Albrecht Käfer @ 2010-03-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:52:54 +0100, Rob Veenker <veenker@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> I downloaded GNAT GPL 2009 a few days ago and started to experiment
>>> a bit. Basically, it is (nearly) a nightmare. Don't try to use GPS
>>> for anything. It is (IMHO) an unstable pile of crap with a horrible
>>> UI. Don't try to make Eclipse work with GNATbench and jvm-gnat and
>>> expect easy integration into other Eclipse Java stuff.
>>> I think it is a real shame that no completely integrated package
>>> is available for this certainly interesting technology. It is no
>>> wonder that most people just use another language.
>> In unrelated news, there's no Visual Studio 2008 integration (or,
>> heavens
>> forbid, VS2010) for GNAT.Net, and last time I tried, it didn't work with
>> VS2005 either.
>> Good times.
> Integration with VS 2005 should work.

It should, but didn't. And I don't really feel like keeping VS2005 around
when VS2010 is about to be released.

Albrecht