* AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-22 18:45 adaworks
From: adaworks @ 2005-10-22 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

We started AdaWorks in 1987.  Since then we have had a good
time doing consulting, programming, and training in the world
of Ada.  From time to time we have branched out into other
areas, but we have stayed close to our core business, that of
helping to make Ada an attractive alternative for software
developers world-wide.

I recently terminated our web site.   It was generating more spam
than anything else.  Existing clients who want still want my individual
services know how to reach me by telephone.  They also have my
private email account, not published on any of the public sites.

During the last five years, most of my time has been devoted to
teaching software engineering topics at the Naval Postgraduate
School, where I continue to promote Ada whenever I can.   In two
weeks, I will start the Ada module of a comparative programming
class I teach twice a year.

I am now on the threshold of my eighth decade.   The days of being
away from home for up to two weeks out of every month, which is
what my Ada consulting required, is not fun anymore.  I still enjoy
busiess-related traveling, but need to cut back -- a lot.

I have closed the AdaWorks web site.  The name, AdaWorks, will
persist for a while in other contexts.   I will continue to visit and
contribute to this forum.  I plan to update Ada Distilled to the
2005 standard sometime next Spring.  My email address,
richard@adaworks.com will no longer work after today.

For those of you who know me, there is no cause for worry.   I
am still in robust health, continue to practice Judo two or three
evenings a week,  love my teaching duties at NPS, and hope
to see some of you from time to time at various conferences
and other meetings.  I am still an active member of GAP for NPS.

Richard Riehle

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-22 19:33 ` jimmaureenrogers
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: jimmaureenrogers @ 2005-10-22 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

adaworks@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> We started AdaWorks in 1987.  Since then we have had a good
> time doing consulting, programming, and training in the world
> of Ada.  From time to time we have branched out into other
> areas, but we have stayed close to our core business, that of
> helping to make Ada an attractive alternative for software
> developers world-wide.
>
> I recently terminated our web site.   It was generating more spam
> than anything else.  Existing clients who want still want my individual
> services know how to reach me by telephone.  They also have my
> private email account, not published on any of the public sites.
>
> During the last five years, most of my time has been devoted to
> teaching software engineering topics at the Naval Postgraduate
> School, where I continue to promote Ada whenever I can.   In two
> weeks, I will start the Ada module of a comparative programming
> class I teach twice a year.
>
> I am now on the threshold of my eighth decade.   The days of being
> away from home for up to two weeks out of every month, which is
> what my Ada consulting required, is not fun anymore.  I still enjoy
> busiess-related traveling, but need to cut back -- a lot.
>
> I have closed the AdaWorks web site.  The name, AdaWorks, will
> persist for a while in other contexts.   I will continue to visit and
> contribute to this forum.  I plan to update Ada Distilled to the
> 2005 standard sometime next Spring.  My email address,
> richard@adaworks.com will no longer work after today.
>
> For those of you who know me, there is no cause for worry.   I
> am still in robust health, continue to practice Judo two or three
> evenings a week,  love my teaching duties at NPS, and hope
> to see some of you from time to time at various conferences
> and other meetings.  I am still an active member of GAP for NPS.

Best wishes for you and your family in the next phase of your
life.

Jim Rogers

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-23  7:17   ` Stephane Riviere
From: Stephane Riviere @ 2005-10-23  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I plan to update Ada Distilled to the
>> 2005 standard sometime next Spring.

I allways consider "Ada Distilled" as one of most usefull book ever
written about Ada.

I join Jim to wish you the best for your future life.

Regards from France

--
Stephane Riviere
Oleron Island - France

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-23  9:43     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2005-10-23  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephane

Stephane Riviere a �crit :
> I allways consider "Ada Distilled" as one of most usefull book ever
> written about Ada.

Agreed, I have enjoyed reading it. The presentation is quite nice and
well structured.

We never met but I join others to wish you the best for your future life.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-24 19:56 ` Randy Brukardt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2005-10-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

<adaworks@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> For those of you who know me, there is no cause for worry.   I
> am still in robust health, continue to practice Judo two or three
> evenings a week,  love my teaching duties at NPS, and hope
> to see some of you from time to time at various conferences
> and other meetings.  I am still an active member of GAP for NPS.

Good luck in "retirement", Richard. I know you've earned it...

                   Randy Brukardt

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-25 18:56 ` Michal Nowak
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michal Nowak @ 2005-10-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:45:00 +0200, <adaworks@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

<snip>

> During the last five years, most of my time has been devoted to
> teaching software engineering topics at the Naval Postgraduate
> School, where I continue to promote Ada whenever I can.   In two
> weeks, I will start the Ada module of a comparative programming
> class I teach twice a year.
>
> I am now on the threshold of my eighth decade.   The days of being
> away from home for up to two weeks out of every month, which is
> what my Ada consulting required, is not fun anymore.  I still enjoy
> busiess-related traveling, but need to cut back -- a lot.

<snip>

> For those of you who know me, there is no cause for worry.   I
> am still in robust health, continue to practice Judo two or three
> evenings a week,  love my teaching duties at NPS, and hope
> to see some of you from time to time at various conferences
> and other meetings.  I am still an active member of GAP for NPS.
>
> Richard Riehle

Thank for all you have done in Ada world. I used your "Ada Distilled"
when I started with Ada, and then gave it to everyone, whom I was
teaching Ada. I enjoyed reading your posts on compl.lang.ada.

You will always be one of Ada-people, who I admire most.

Good luck in your next stage of life,
Michal Nowak

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-28 15:16 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2005-10-28 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Richard,

I, too, would like to wish you the best in the future.  Your contributions to
Ada will not be forgotten.
Like many others, I have recommended "Ada Distilled" to many Ada newcomers and
I'm sure it
has helped many discover the elegance of Ada.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey, CFI - GNC Software Engineer, Raytheon Missile Systems
-- "The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams
--  of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only
--  stare skyward ... and wish."
--
-- NOTE: please perform appendectomy on email address before replying

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
@ 2005-10-28 21:45   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2005-10-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I met Richard over a decade ago, and just recently recommended /Ada Distilled/
to a C++ coder who expressed an interest in language mechanisms that could help
reduce the number of errors he makes. While it's sad to see AdaWorks close, I
can certainly understand his desire to pass the gantlet at his stage in life. I
hope I can keep making money with Ada until I get to his age group.

--
Jeff Carter
"Blessed are they who convert their neighbors'

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-29  2:47 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-10-29  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Richard,

I join the others to wish you and your family all the best. We have
never met but if you recall, we have exchanged some ideas. I wish to
meet you someday.

I'm using your Ada Distilled for reference and to teach Ada. I love it!
It is an excellent book.

Again, my best wishes.

--
"If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
beautiful sunset." Adrian Hoe, inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15 2004.

* Re: AdaWorks Closing
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-10-30 19:44 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2005-10-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also wish you the best of luck on your retirement. Your Distilled Ada
is one of my favorites. You may not remember me. But, I never forget
you. By the way, we are from the same area, San Francisco bay area.
Specifically, I live in Fremont. May be we can have lunch some time.

Anh Vo