From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: Which Linux is best on lab top
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:24:52 -0400
Date: 2007-04-24T22:24:52-04:00	[thread overview]

Anh Vo wrote:
> I seeking your advice on which linux should be best for my lab top
> since most you are Linux experts beside Ada Gurus. I recently
> purchased a lab top. I plan to install Linux on the second hard drive
> which has 100 GB.
>
> I am looking for a Linux flavor with easy setup, more driver support
> and auto update. Red Hat is not quite good on these areas. Ubunto
> Linux does provide these capabilities according what I have read and
> heard. However, I would like to hear from the experts who have been
> using it. Thanks.
>
> AV

Yipes! The only thing as likely as a language flame war is a
distribution flame war!

If you care about Ada support under Linux, it sure seems as if debian is
the way to go. While the gnuada project has many packages available for
a few different Unix platforms, I still think the work that is being
done in debian is top notch.

I have been running centos 4 for a while and recently started migrating
to centos 5. Centos combined with rpmforge is a pretty compelling target
in that you get the stability of the redhat enterprise packages and
still have access to some bleeding edge items.

Centos includes yum and is very easy to update.