From: Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru>
Subject: Re: Subtypes and type invariants in Ada2012
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:29:44 +0300
Date: 2017-08-21T19:29:44+03:00	[thread overview]

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On 2017-08-21 17:38, Victor Porton wrote:
>
>> So, my question: Is it possible to restrict a subtype with something like
>> a type invariant?
>
> Type invariant is not a restriction of public interface/properties, it
> is an implementation detail. So it should never produce a [sub]type.
>
>> I want a subtype restricted by an arbitrary condition. Is it possible?
>
> Arbitrary condition breaks type operations. E.g. condition Is_Prime (X)
> breaks more or less everything (assuming covariance). All restrictions
> do. A few don't break much, e.g. range constraints.

I don't get. What do you mean saying "breaks"?

For me the condition Is_Prime added to a subtype of Natural seems quite
natural. It is quite natural to have a variable which can hold only prime
numbers. This may appear in some math software.

I would propose to add public subtype invariants (not only private tagged
type invariants as now) to Ada2020. Anything particular against this?

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org