* Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2017-08-07  4:59 alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2017-08-07  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ada Community

Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
toolchain into Visual Studio.

https://youtu.be/e1J1Bc2I-R8

I will try and post more detailed videos, demonstrating some of the integration
points, such as code editing, debugging, project configuration etc.. in the next
few week.

Thanks

Alex

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2017-08-07 14:17 ` Jere
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jere @ 2017-08-07 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 12:59:40 AM UTC-4, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Ada Community
>
> Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
> the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
> toolchain into Visual Studio.
>
> https://youtu.be/e1J1Bc2I-R8
>
> I will try and post more detailed videos, demonstrating some of the integration
> points, such as code editing, debugging, project configuration etc.. in the next
> few week.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Awesome.  I am always glad to see more windows development in Ada.
Are there examples/code available in a repo somewhere?  I've only
had time to glance at the video so far due to my kids, but hopefully
will be able to fully go through it soon.

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2017-08-07 16:30 ` Mr. Man-wai Chang
From: Mr. Man-wai Chang @ 2017-08-07 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/8/2017 12:59 PM, alby.gamper@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Ada Community
>
> Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
> the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
> toolchain into Visual Studio....

This is one of the few interesting yet relevant topics in this
newsgroup.... :)

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2017-08-07 22:58   ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2017-08-07 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 12:17:15 AM UTC+10, Jere wrote:
> On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 12:59:40 AM UTC-4, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Dear Ada Community
> >
> > Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
> > the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
> > toolchain into Visual Studio.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/e1J1Bc2I-R8
> >
> > I will try and post more detailed videos, demonstrating some of the integration
> > points, such as code editing, debugging, project configuration etc.. in the next
> > few week.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Alex
>
> Awesome.  I am always glad to see more windows development in Ada.
> Are there examples/code available in a repo somewhere?  I've only
> had time to glance at the video so far due to my kids, but hopefully
> will be able to fully go through it soon.

Hi Jere
Thanks for the feedback, I can put the sample code / template onto GitHub, But
without the WinrRt bindings (which is in a pre alpha stage, and likely to change
somewhat) and a customized runtime (ie libgnat) you wont be able to build or
run the sample.

I will endeavour make the customized runtime open source (which I believe I
have to do anyway) as well as the WinRt Bindings soon. It may take me a while
to get this done, as their is still lots of work to do on this project.

Thanks

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2018-03-14 18:52     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-03-14 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 5:58:26 PM UTC-5, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, I can put the sample code / template onto GitHub,

Yes, please do so, even before releasing the rest of it.  Seeing sample source code is the best sales pitch for this category of tool.

> I will endeavour make the customized runtime open source (which I believe I
> have to do anyway) as well as the WinRt Bindings soon.

libgnat is licensed under the GPL, so, yes, VisualAda's libgnat certainly would need to be open-sourced under the same version of GPL as you obtained it.  I hope that you obtained it from FSF GNAT, not AdaCore GPL edition.

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2018-03-16  8:34       ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-03-16  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 5:52:36 AM UTC+11, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 5:58:26 PM UTC-5, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback, I can put the sample code / template onto GitHub,
>
> Yes, please do so, even before releasing the rest of it.  Seeing sample source code is the best sales pitch for this category of tool.

> > I will endeavour make the customized runtime open source (which I believe I
> > have to do anyway) as well as the WinRt Bindings soon.
>
> libgnat is licensed under the GPL, so, yes, VisualAda's libgnat certainly would need to be open-sourced under the same version of GPL as you obtained it.  I hope that you obtained it from FSF GNAT, not AdaCore GPL edition.

Hi Dan'l

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2018-03-16  8:37         ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-03-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 7:34:43 PM UTC+11, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 5:52:36 AM UTC+11, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> > On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 5:58:26 PM UTC-5, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Thanks for the feedback, I can put the sample code / template onto GitHub,
> >
> > Yes, please do so, even before releasing the rest of it.  Seeing sample source code is the best sales pitch for this category of tool.

> > > I will endeavour make the customized runtime open source (which I believe I
> > > have to do anyway) as well as the WinRt Bindings soon.
> >
> > libgnat is licensed under the GPL, so, yes, VisualAda's libgnat certainly would need to be open-sourced under the same version of GPL as you obtained it.  I hope that you obtained it from FSF GNAT, not AdaCore GPL edition.
>
> Hi Dan'l

I'll Try and get something up on GitHub soon, and yes I did use FSF GNAT

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2018-03-19  2:44 ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-03-19  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:59:40 PM UTC-5, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear Ada Community
>
> Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
> the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
> toolchain into Visual Studio.
>
> https://youtu.be/e1J1Bc2I-R8

“You can set an enormous font size for the text editor via Tools | Options | Environment | Fonts and Colors | Show settings for: | Text Editor.  There are numerous other choices of textual entities (e.g., Editor Tooltip) to set the size of font as well, if any of those are to be featured in a revised video to showcase still other Ada integrations into Visual Studio.”

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2018-03-21 10:28   ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-03-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 1:44:18 PM UTC+11, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:59:40 PM UTC-5, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Dear Ada Community
> >
> > Below is a link to a YouTube video, which demonstrates at a high level one of
> > the "Project templates" that I have developed as part of integrating Ada/Gnat
> > toolchain into Visual Studio.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/e1J1Bc2I-R8

> “You can set an enormous font size for the text editor via Tools | Options | Environment | Fonts and Colors | Show settings for: | Text Editor.  There are numerous other choices of textual entities (e.g., Editor Tooltip) to set the size of font as well, if any of those are to be featured in a revised video to showcase still other Ada integrations into Visual Studio.”

Hi Dan'l

Apologies for the late reply! and thanks for the advice, I could also just
change the screen resolution while recording, to the same effect? I'll try
both.

Also, I've got the WinRT bindings ready to push up to GitHub, BUT I am just
preparing the readme/documentation AND some sample projects to demonstrate
the bindings.

Note, as a alpha release the samples will focus on the WinRT-Desktop use case
which will compile from the supplied source code using gcc/gnat WITHOUT any
"Ada Visual studio integration"

WinRT-Store samples for "local deployment" or "Microsoft store deployment"
will come in subsequent releases

Alex

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-03-22  3:21 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-03-22  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow! Thx.

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2019-02-05 14:26     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2019-02-05 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 4:28:36 AM UTC-6, alby....@gmail.com wrote:

> Note, as a alpha release the samples will focus on the WinRT-Desktop use case
> which will compile from the supplied source code using gcc/gnat WITHOUT any
> "Ada Visual studio integration"
>
> WinRT-Store samples for "local deployment" or "Microsoft store deployment"
> will come in subsequent releases

Any progress on these? Or on the VS Integration efforts?

* Re: Ada Visual Studio Integration
@ 2019-02-09  5:27       ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2019-02-09  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 1:26:14 AM UTC+11, Shark8 wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 4:28:36 AM UTC-6, alby....@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Note, as a alpha release the samples will focus on the WinRT-Desktop use case
> > which will compile from the supplied source code using gcc/gnat WITHOUT any
> > "Ada Visual studio integration"
> >
> > WinRT-Store samples for "local deployment" or "Microsoft store deployment"
> > will come in subsequent releases
>
> Any progress on these? Or on the VS Integration efforts?

Hi Shark8

You can download and install VisualAda from the below URL. This includes a
template for a WinRT GUI based application. Note you will need to clone the WinRT repo and do a local build

Alex

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AlexGamper.VisualAda

https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT