From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Real tasking problems with Ada.
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 18:11:33 -0500
Date: 2017-08-04T18:11:33-05:00	[thread overview]

"Niklas Holsti" <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> wrote in message
news:eufp9gFi2doU1@mid.individual.net...
> On 17-08-03 07:16 , Randy Brukardt wrote:
>
>> You seem to be thinking of bare machine implementations of Ada, but none
>> of
>> those that have existed in the last decade or more have any tasking
>> support.
>
> GNAT supports bare-machine applications, with various levels of tasking
> support, from none through Ravenscar to full tasking, depending on the
> version of the Run-Time System one chooses.
>
> Or does your "bare machine" mean "no RTS"? I have always understood it to
> mean "no *language-independent* kernel or O/S".

Last I looked, all of the vendors had gotten rid of their bare machine
implementations. I know GNAT supports such environments without tasking, but
I hadn't heard anything about any such support including tasking -- in part
because such tasking support has to be customized to each processor (and to
some extent board), and not much of it can be shared with the runtime for a
OS like Windows or Linux.

If they really have a complete bare machine package, that's great, but there
still is very little commercial interest in such things (I suspect because
most commercial systems need some sort of networking support and probably a
bit more device-independence).

                                      Randy.