From: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject: Re: mingw vs cygwin
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:45:58 +1300
Date: 2006-02-07T01:45:58+13:00	[thread overview]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:29:45 -0500, Stephen Leake <...e@acm.org> wrote:
>midgleyben@hotmail.com writes:
>> which way mingw or cygwin ? I have read so many reports of problems
>> with c under mingw and just problems with gcc-ada but non particularly
>
>I use GNAT (comercially supported) with C code in my project, and it's

How much does that support from the US AdaCore, cost?.

It seems to be a mistake to recommend paying with there being exactly
one option.

>You should seriously consider getting AdaCore support; it is very good
>- by far the best support from any vendor I've ever had.

Maybe AdaCore withholds little bits of information, eg. that MinGW C
would mix with GNAT 3.15p in one *.exe if this is added:

  typedef double Real __attribute__ ((aligned (4)));

The GNAT documents didn't mention that. For the swiftest compile
times, a GCC 2.8.1 Ada would be used with GCC 3.x.x C/C++.

Comments alleging that GCC is getting lessa and less able to build
a correct executables, at least since maybe August 2003, is at the
GMP big numbers package:  http://swox.com/gmp/

So a logical is to not pay for the compiler; but what about the
support ?. Are the C++ pragmas and binutils objdum, and all the
rest of the tools, debugged as a reult of good service ?.

-- Craig Carey