* OA SE observations
@ 2001-08-04 23:01 AG
From: AG @ 2001-08-04 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm not sure this is the best group to post it in, but short of mailing
this directly to Aonix I guess it must be, so...

I recently lost my downloaded OA SE due to some accident but
didn't think much of it until I went and tried to download it again.
This SE is supposed to be an easy to use, easy to get (albeit
restricted) version, correct? Demo version mostly. Well...

Full download is a hefty 77Mb. Do people that put that sort of
file size on line really think about a casual user on a dial-up
connection? It used to be (some time ago) that you could download
it in several (5-7?) chunks but apparently not any more. What's so
hard about splitting one 77Mb file into say 10 7.7Mb ones to make
it easier to get? By now I've downloaded about 10 times the size
but still don't have it because the connection is usually gone somewhere
in the 60-70% download range...

Another problem I've discovered when trying to download it again:
This obnoxious poll form before you even get to the supposedly free
download. It's all very well and fine to ask about what languages and
OSes you use etc, but why insist on personal details like name and
address? No big deal of course - the fields are just filled in with junk
but why bother and make a bad impression?

The page that is provided "for your convinience" as it says does not
reload after making it a bookmark (missing @referral error).
[And yes, I tried it on a plain-vanilla IE as well as other things]

And last but not least - after the Core files are downloaded, unzipped,
setup run et al - Running OA.EXE generates an error:
"The OA.EXE file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL:6880"
MFC? In Ada? Well...

* Re: OA SE observations
@ 2001-08-07 16:41 ` Barry Kelly
From: Barry Kelly @ 2001-08-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <88%a7.742$fg7.177567@news.xtra.co.nz>
	"AG" <ang@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Full download is a hefty 77Mb. Do people that put that sort of
> file size on line really think about a casual user on a dial-up
> connection?

Get yourself a download manager then.

-- Barry

Team JEDI: http://www.delphi-jedi.org
NNQ - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
  http://web.infoave.net/~dcalhoun/nnq/nquote.html

* Re: OA SE observations
@ 2001-08-07 21:26 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-08-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hi - this will help :-)

  ftp://ftp.aonix.com/pub/ada/public/pal/windows-zip-small/

Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

NB: Do not answer to sender address, visit the Web site!
    Ne r�pondez pas � l'exp�diteur, visitez le site ouaibe!

* Re: OA SE observations
@ 2001-08-09  8:10 ` AG
From: AG @ 2001-08-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

  Yes, I did get the core files as noted in my original mail. That doesn't
answer
the questions though ...

@ 2001-08-09  8:13   ` AG
From: AG @ 2001-08-09  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Barry Kelly" <dynagen@eircom.net> wrote in message
> In article <88%a7.742$fg7.177567@news.xtra.co.nz>
> "AG" <ang@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Full download is a hefty 77Mb. Do people that put that sort of
> > file size on line really think about a casual user on a dial-up
> > connection?
>
> Get yourself a download manager then.

</e> Sigh ... NM the promotion then, or whatever the the demo is for ...