* learning Ada on Mac
@ 1996-08-06  0:00 Christopher Foran
From: Christopher Foran @ 1996-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am interested in learning the Ada programming language.  I was wondering
if someone could post a tutorial or a list of books about learning Ada and
give me some ideas on where to start.  I would prefer if the material was
Macintosh oriented. please post to this group or email me at
oblivion@earthlink.net
     -Thanx

* Re: learning Ada on Mac
@ 1996-08-07  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-08-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

oblivion@earthlink.net (Christopher Foran) writes:
> I am interested in learning the Ada programming
> language.  I was wondering if someone could
> post a tutorial or a list of books about learning
> Ada and give me some ideas on where to start.
> I would prefer if the material was Macintosh oriented.
     There's a free tutorial called Lovelace, written in HTML by David
Wheeler, at http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm.  If
you have a Web browser on your Mac, you can either run Lovelace right on
the Web, or download it and run it locally.
     I wrote a shareware tutorial called Ada Tutor, available for download
at the Web and FTP sites below my signature.  It has been compiled to run
under DOS, but the Ada source code is included, so if your Mac has an Ada
83 or Ada 95 compiler, it will run on your Mac.  (Several Mac users have
run Ada Tutor.)
     For a textbook, I strongly recommend RENDEZVOUS WITH ADA 95 by David
Naiditch, published by John Wiley and Sons.  There's a coupon at the Web
and FTP sites below my signature, which you can send directly to Wiley to
order the book.  (I have to admit to a very small financial interest if
you order the book with the coupon mentioned, but I have no financial
interest if you get the book from any other source.  I think it's an
*excellent* textbook.)
     You'll like Ada!  Ada catches errors at compile time that other
languages catch only at run time, or not at all.  Also, Ada programs tend
to be easier to read, and easier to modify a month or a year later.
You'll find the people here at comp.lang.ada eager to help.  Good luck!
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: learning Ada on Mac
@ 1996-08-10  0:00 ` james E. Hopper
From: james E. Hopper @ 1996-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<oblivion-0608961126530001@pool060.max33.new-york.ny.dynip.alter.net>
Christopher Foran, oblivion@earthlink.net writes:
>I am interested in learning the Ada programming language.  I was wondering
>if someone could post a tutorial or a list of books about learning Ada and
>give me some ideas on where to start.  I would prefer if the material was
>Macintosh oriented. please post to this group or email me at
>oblivion@earthlink.net

The gnat-mac ada compiler that was ported by our team will soon have
a set of macintosh examples.  Mike Feldman is writting a set of example
code oritneted to the mac toolbox to teach the use of ada ini the mac
environment.  the compiler is free, the examples are free, of the mac
unix clone that runs on top of mac os is not free, but it will soon be
very cheap.

see http://gnat-mac.com/macada/ for more details on getting the mac
compiler
getting on our mailing list for information about the new examples etc.

best jim