From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: gnatbind get stack overflow, how do I investigate the cause?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:30:22 +0200
Date: 2017-03-30T16:30:22+02:00	[thread overview]

On 30/03/2017 15:00, Petter Fryklund wrote:

> after a couple of years with C# I'm back! I am currently porting a
> large project from Ada-95 in ObjectAda to GNAT 17, first on Linux and
> later on W7. I've managed to compile the all files, but gnatbind hits a
> stack overflow. How do I get more information about the cause?

Are you sure? Usually it is the compiler that runs out of memory. It
happens very often if you have many generic instances.

The only solution I know is splitting compilation units. Important is
the "distance". If you move X into packet Q that is "with"-ed in the
packet P where compiler ran out of memory that is the distance 1. This
is not enough. The distance must be at least 2. Therefore separate
bodies do not help. Packing generic instances into a collection package
does not help. etc.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov