* Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-24  9:53 George J
From: George J @ 2017-03-24  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!I know about C/Cpp,asm UEFI programming. So I have a question, does here anyone built uefi (.efi) file using Ada, or does anyone have experience with connecting EDK II or UDK with Ada? I'm asking for, cause I want to know, is it really possible? I've spent a few days trying to develop simple UEFI app with GNAT GPS and now I need help, cause I can't waste time anymore.
Thanks!

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-24 18:22 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-03-24 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 24 March 2017 09:53:38 UTC, George J  wrote:
> Hi all!I know about C/Cpp,asm UEFI programming. So I have a question, does here anyone built uefi (.efi) file using Ada, or does anyone have experience with connecting EDK II or UDK with Ada? I'm asking for, cause I want to know, is it really possible? I've spent a few days trying to develop simple UEFI app with GNAT GPS and now I need help, cause I can't waste time anymore.
> Thanks!

Of course it's possible. You just need a windows gnat and bindings for uefi.

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-25  7:39   ` Dirk Heinrichs
From: Dirk Heinrichs @ 2017-03-25  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.03.2017 um 19:22 schrieb Lucretia:

> You just need a windows gnat

So a Linux or FreeBSD Gnat won't do it? If so, why?

Thanks a lot...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de>
GPG Public Key: D01B367761B0F7CE6E6D81AAD5A2E54246986015

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-26 12:01     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2017-03-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de> wrote:
> Am 24.03.2017 um 19:22 schrieb Lucretia:
>
>> You just need a windows gnat
>
> So a Linux or FreeBSD Gnat won't do it? If so, why?

It will, you just need to use a cross compiler.

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-27  6:33   ` George J
From: George J @ 2017-03-27  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Of course it's possible. You just need a windows gnat and bindings for uefi.

Lucretia,thanks.I've tried to find uefi bindings for Ada or some simple examples, and had no result.Maybe i don't know, where to find it?Or i have to make it by myself?

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-27  8:09     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2017-03-27  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

George J <ivanov_george@list.ru> wrote:

>> Of course it's possible. You just need a windows gnat and bindings for uefi.
>
> Lucretia,thanks.I've tried to find uefi bindings for Ada or some simple
> examples, and had no result.Maybe i don't know, where to find it?Or i
> have to make it by myself?

UEFI apps need to be in PE format, which is Microsoft's variation of COFF.

You'll likely need your own bindings as I don't think anyone has done it
yet. I certainly haven't got around to it.

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-27 17:49       ` Qun-Ying
From: Qun-Ying @ 2017-03-27 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html, in Linux, you
may need the TianoCore EFI Development Kit 2 (EDK2)
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/tianocore/)  or GNU-EFI development
tools (https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-efi/).

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-28  7:48         ` George J
From: George J @ 2017-03-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok,thanks to all! Hope, it will be possible!)

* Re: Ada UEFI programming
@ 2017-03-28 16:09           ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2017-03-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 08:48:53 UTC+1, George J  wrote:
> Ok,thanks to all! Hope, it will be possible!)

Of course it's possible.

You have read these right?

http://wiki.osdev.org/PE
http://wiki.osdev.org/UEFI#GNU-EFI_and_GCC

You need an x86_64-pe targetted gcc cross compiler, you can then follow what I've done http://wiki.osdev.org/Ada_Bare_bones and https://github.com/Lucretia/bare_bones (this is more up to date than the osdev link as I now have a secondary stack) for a bare metal runtime to target this kind of application area.

You would use gcc to generate a binding from a uefi.h file (if there is one), or just bind as you normally would.