From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Best way to put an array-based pixmap on a screen?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 23:48:43 +0200
Date: 2017-03-26T23:48:43+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2017-03-26 23:00, BartC wrote:
> On 26/03/2017 09:25, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> On 2017-03-26 03:01, LaeMing Ai wrote:
>>> I am hoping to learn some Ada with an explicit interest in simple
>>> software 3D rendering (ie: writing the render code in Ada, NOT calling
>>> external libraries such as OpenGL).
>
>> Cairo rendering is more or less simple:
>>
>>    https://www.cairographics.org/tutorial
>
> Ah! Perhaps a simpler way to get into Cairo, since I got bogged down
> last time (trying to use it via C). I click Download on your link,
> scroll to Windows, and it says I need to download GTK+ as it will have
> Cairo.
>
> OK, GTK download page, Windows, it says I will need GLib, cairo, Pango,
> ATK, gdk-pixbuf and GTK+ developer packages.... Then it says it's best
> to install MSYS2 to download binaries (we are still trying to download a
> simple rendering package, right?).

Well, it is how Gtk is (and most other C libraries are as well).

> This is obviously going to lead nowhere. Back a few pages, it suggests
> Glade, but, looking at it, it appears to have nothing to do with GTK. Or
> with Cairo (remember that?).

In fact the advise is correct. You should install MSYS2 and then *from*
MSYS2 you do Cairo developing packages. The package management tool
under MSYS2 is pacman.

Alternatively you can use MinGW packages from Debian or Fedora if you
are more comfortable with apt and dnf/yum than with MSYS2 pacman.

Even simpler would be to install GtkAda. That includes Cairo. It is
really simple: download, execute, ready.

> A very familiar pattern.

There is a reason why we dislike C. It is not much for the language as
for the damage it inflicts on software developers, for the "culture of C".

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov