From: "Steve" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.3 vs 3.15
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:39:00 GMT
Date: 2003-04-02T03:39:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"David Holm" <david@realityrift.com> wrote in message
news:20030401231809.4e51c34a.david@realityrift.com...
> On 01 Apr 2003 15:19:33 -0500
> Stephen Leake <Stephen.A.Leake@nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> > David Holm <david@realityrift.com> writes:
> >
> > > What are the problems of using GNAT 3.3 over 3.15?
> >
> > I'm not clear what you mean by "GNAT 3.3"; there is no such thing
> > according to ACT. I guess you mean "The Ada compiler that comes with
> > GCC 3.3". What does "gnatmake -v" say about the version?
>
> Um, yes, I was under the impression that ACT wouldn't release more gnat
versions but instead go
> through gcc.
> gnatmake -v says:
> GNATMAKE 3.3 20030329 (prerelease) Copyright 1995-2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.

[snip]

The last I heard ACT will continue to make pre-built public releases of GNAT
for a few platforms.  For other platforms you will have to do your own
build.

Version number for GNAT are independent of version number of GCC.

FYI: The last I heard:
GNAT Compilers version 3.x are based on GCC 2.8.1
GNAT Compilers version 4.x validated (don't know if they specify base GCC
for these)
GNAT Compilers version 5.x are based on GCC 3.x

A recent post on the GCC mailing list indicated that ACT will soon be set up
to keep the GCC CVS tree more in line with their internal repository.  This
is good news.

Steve
(The Duck)